Author Topic: what to do: about standard shield, resident task settings: blocker : help please  (Read 5334 times)

meikme

ok i have here in when i go to standars resident shield (avast newest free edition) i go to resident task settings, i go to: blocker|:
it says there: if an operation should be blocked but avast cannot ask what to do,(because for instance screensaver is running), it says:
it should either:
1 allow the operation
or 2: deny the operation.

am i i crazy? i need to choose option 2 correct? because if i read correct, avast wants to block something, i quess not for nothing but for security reasons.
yet, that option is disables, it is on option 1 (allow the operation)
i read from that that that is potentiially dangerous... i am correct not?

i should choose option 2, correct?

concerning safety which is my purpose..

this important to me, help is appriciated very much..

for now i will choose otion 2 but love to read replys on this..

thanks very,

Me

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
At first I have a question: You have just posted question about avira in this forum. Which AV you are using at the moment? Don't say you use them both...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Behavior blocker is almost an outdated feature of avast. Leave the default values and use just one antivirus at a time.
The best things in life are free.

meikme

ok, as reply to last post: i aint english, i need good understanding of what things mean,
i need to know: what does option 1 do:
and what does option 2 do?

i thought option 2 means that the unwanted virus/trojan, whatever will be blocked if i choose option 2 but i think now i am discorrect, is that right, so just keep it to option 1?

me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
ok, as reply to last post: i aint english, i need good understanding of what things mean,
i need to know: what does option 1 do:
and what does option 2 do?
Help file...

Resident Protection: Standard Shield - Blocker

Default extension set. Operations selected below will be blocked for all files with "dangerous" extensions.
Additional extension. Besides the standard extension set, you can specify additional extensions to block operations on. Enter those extensions here. Multiple extensions should be separated by comma. Again, you can use the wildcard "?".
Blocked operations. Check the operation to block.
Opening file for writing. The file can be open for reading only; it will not be possible to save any changes.
Renaming file. It will not be possible to rename the file.
Deleting file. It will not be possible to delete the file.
Formatting. It will not be possible to format diskettes or hard disks. In this case, the selected extensions are ignored, since the operation does not concern files.
Allow the operation. If an attempt to perform the blocked operation is detected, you will be asked to permit or deny the operation. If avast! is unable to ask the question, the operation will be allowed.
Deny the operation. If an attempt to perform the blocked operation is detected, you will be asked to permit or deny the operation. If avast! is unable to ask the question, the operation will be denied.

meikme

helpfile helps me unfortunately not..please somebody can answer my easy asked question above your helpfile post?
option 1 is ok: means: it will block? or not? :(

meikme

reply to the other post: i use 3 virusscanners (avg free, avst free and avira antivir free) but seperately, not together allthough i have tested working together and that works good too..
as avast regognises not all virusses/trojans i need ofcourse also a scanner that does recognise them, and as for ex antivir has no emailprotection etc, i feel i need avast too..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
helpfile helps me unfortunately not..please somebody can answer my easy asked question above your helpfile post?
option 1 is ok: means: it will block? or not? :(
It's clearly stated that avast will block the operation... but why are you just regretting all my suggestions to leave the default options of avast at this behavior blocker? ???

meikme

sorry i am not (at last not wanting to) regret your message..
but i just need simple clear language/answers: is option 1 ok?: it will then block the unwanted program/virus/trojan?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
is option 1 ok?: it will then block the unwanted program/virus/trojan?
No, it's not. It will block legit, clean, operations as well. You'll have difficulties to install and even run softwares.

meikme

think i have understood, thanks.
started up also a new other thread as i still have many questions about the correct setup of avast..

MeikMe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
think i have understood, thanks.
started up also a new other thread as i still have many questions about the correct setup of avast..

MeikMe
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)