Author Topic: Slow scans Avast 4.8.1296  (Read 4568 times)

jim64

Slow scans Avast 4.8.1296
« on: December 27, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
Hi,

Yesterday standard scan of C, D and F(external) drives, which normally takes about 35-45 mins, took over 2 HOURS to complete, same again in safe mode. Now I've got about 90GB of AVI files across D and F drives, so today I excluded video d/load folders and whaddayaknow scan took 38 mins. Thing is I've had similar amount on system for a while, last files added were on 23 Dec (900MB), I usually scan daily and it's only yesterday the slowdown occured. Checked log files today and found these, both related to start time of first scan yesterday:

WARNING.
26/12/2008   17:11:17   1230311477   SYSTEM   1520   AAVM - scanning warning: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx [UNI]: D:\Documents and Settings\Jim Shaw\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware\PROCESSLIST.BIN (D:\Documents and Settings\Jim Shaw\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware\PROCESSLIST.BIN) returning error, 0000A413. 

ERROR.
26/12/2008   17:11:17   1230311477   SYSTEM   1520   AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of D:\Documents and Settings\Jim Shaw\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware\PROCESSLIST.BIN failed, 0000A413.

Checked SAS program files, and related folders (PROCESSLIST/PROCESSLISTRELATED), assume to do with updates, are zip/database, this new one is only .BIN file, created time as above. No warnings/errors from today's Avast scan.

Any ideas why this slowdown started? I can keep excluding video files from scans, as scan them after d/load before opening anyway (I'm not that stupid), but I'm wondering about the coincidence of the above log messages. Possible unrelated false positives? Scan results remain clean,  just usual unreadable archive files reported. As things seem OK now should I just leave videos excluded from scans and forget about it?   

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers.

Windows XP SP2 - security on system: Comodo Firewall Pro, Avast 4.8.1296 (resident protection), SUPERAntiSpyware, MBAM, Spybot S&D (no Tea-Timer, immunize only), Trojan Remover.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Slow scans Avast 4.8.1296
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »
As things seem OK now should I just leave videos excluded from scans and forget about it?
I won't exclude anything from on demand scanning.
You don't need to run on demand scanning that often, but when you do, let it overnight and don't worry that much about speed. Anyway, avast on demand scanning is not the best one among other antivirus, at least, is what I can read in Internet.
The best things in life are free.

jim64

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »
Thanks for reply to a not too attractive post, Tech.

Thought daily scans were good practice, all AV apps I've used recommend this and prompt you to schedule accordingly. Scheduling not available in Avast free, but I like to manually scan system at end of day's usage for peace of mind. Suppose if resident protection doing it's job I shouldn't be so paranoid, scan full system but less often as you suggest. Funny how the slow drag in scans just started like that though, that's what prompted this thread. For overnight use wish Avast had option of shutdown after scan, perhaps suggestion for future releases?

I'll assume the SAS log entries were read errors/false positives as no reports since.

Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:04:11 PM »
Thought daily scans were good practice, all AV apps I've used recommend this and prompt you to schedule accordingly.
For sure this is overkilling... for this purpose there is the resident (on access) scanning. Believe me...

For overnight use wish Avast had option of shutdown after scan, perhaps suggestion for future releases?
This is available in the Professional version.
The best things in life are free.

jim64

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:57:57 PM »
For sure this is overkilling... for this purpose there is the resident (on access) scanning. Believe me...
Will take comments on board.

This is available in the Professional version.
Yeah, suppose they have to hold something back.