Author Topic: I can't start the resident protection?  (Read 5968 times)

Ryan2009

I can't start the resident protection?
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
I just downloaded the avast protection but I can't get the resident protection to start up or even show up on my system at all!!! I am very worried about getting something PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I can't start the resident protection?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version number?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

siaupai

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
Hi, I have the same problem. It happened after a virus attack. Since then, whenever I started my computer, the resident protection failed to start up and a message appear on the screen saying the license key is not entered. Im using Window Vista, windows firewall with windows defender. At the same time I have spybot, malwarebytes anti-malware, and spyware blaster. I have been using them together with avast for few months and they all working smooth until now. So help me please. I have uninstall and install avast both in normal and safe mode. What can I do next?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

To be sure you're clean, I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

Ryan2009

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version number?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?

I am using windows XP home edition, yeah it should be
I am using avast 4.8 Home Edition
I have windows firewall and I also use windows defender but its not up and running
No avast is the only virus software installed  I use to use avg anivirus software
no other security programs that I know of... 

After posting my first post I uninstalled avast and then reinstalled it and the resident protection is running now but now my system runs really slow.. anything that I can do to speed it up??

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 06:41:38 PM »
After posting my first post I uninstalled avast and then reinstalled it and the resident protection is running now but now my system runs really slow.. anything that I can do to speed it up??

Hi...

First, try the regimen that Tech posted to clean your system. :)

May God Bless you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »

I would say ensure that all remnants of AVG are gone.

AVG Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version (in your case 32bit), ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
but now my system runs really slow.. anything that I can do to speed it up??
Check the remains of AVG that David said and check your Standard Shield sensibility to Normal (not High).
Left click the 'a' blue icon, Details button to expand, Standard Shield at left and set the slider to Normal.