Author Topic: ossproxy.exe & AppInit.dll- HELP!  (Read 12161 times)

CharleyO

Re: ossproxy.exe & AppInit.dll- HELP!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 03:15:22 AM »

Hi,
  What did I do? 
  I didn't bash the program.  I didn't express dissatisfaction with ANY help ANYONE gave.  I even thanked people for their help! 
  All I said was that I tried a few suggestions and they didn't help and I, personally, don't have the time or computer skill to rule out every possible cause.  Given my skills and limited time, it is best for me to just try a different program.
  So, why do I owe YOU an apology?  NOW I'M insulted by YOU.

-DPFW16     

I am sure Polonus did not intend to insult you. But, if you will read other posts in here, it will become very evident that sometimes, many programs must be used in order to clear out some infections. We have to consider each and every possible cause until a solution is found. Otherwise, we are not doing enough to help those who come here looking for help ... those like you. Not everything is as cut and dry as any of us would like them to be ... and this is very true of malware that is written by those with malformed mentalities. Please do not take that prior statement the wrong way. Such people are very smart.

Yes, you avoid the warnings by going with AVG instead of avast! but is that really better? I understand that you do want to take the time (or not have the time) to solve your problem ... and that's ok. If there is a real problem on your computer, then someday in the near future, you might have all the time needed while your computer sits idly in it's unusable state of infection.

And yes, we understand you do not have the skills as that is why you asked for help in the first place. As we have too many times in the past and will too many times in the future, we spend our personal time explaining and giving those skills to those who need them. But, the one needing help must also be willing to learn.

Well, I suppose we can not help you. I wish you luck with whatever is wrong with your computer.

DPFW16

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 01:11:23 AM »
Hi DPFW16,

This was not personal, so you cannot feel like that. I just like to have pointed out to you that the easy solution you are looking for, just with some of these malware infestations, sometimes do not exist, whatever special av program you may seek out or not. One av solution covers this, another one covers another scala. And my motto is : "Security is more of an attitude", and everybody can learn that. First thing to consider is - "How did I get infected in the first place". A lot of users have their computer(s) and third party programs not updated and fully patched, for instance older vulnerable Java versions. Malcreants are just waiting for that, and bingo. Then again a lot of users use full admin rights on their systems, malware can do far more havoc on these systems than with normal user rights. Sometimes malware cannot be cleansed by just av-software alone, and a recovery CD is needed or a specially crafted tool or program or script, that is where we people (the malware fighters) come in and we put a lot of spare time into this just because we like to do this. Switching to another av program because that means an easy way out  does not seem to appeal very much to me, but maybe I am of the old school and that is not the general attitude of the user of this day and age that wants a quick solution and cannot be bothered much . If you feel insulted about this last sentence then that is your problem, not mine,

polonus

To Polonus and CharleyO,
  It certainly sounded personal to me- polonus DIRECTED the message to me (and one other person).  And he asked for an apology.  How else am I supposed to have taken the message?  Hopefully you can see why I felt targeted.
  Anyway, it certainly wasn't my intent to upset anyone, although it seems like I have.  I'm sorry if some of you don't agree with my decision, but ultimately it's MY decision. 
  Thanks again for everyone's time.  I probably won't be on again.

foxgirl

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
Hello, I have the same problem.
However, I really don't know where to find register files and don't understand the advice you've give DFP.
what I did(I am willing to do anything that may help me get rid of those two files) was to install hijackthis and hereis the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:09:45 PM, on 1/2/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\CorelIOMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe
C:\Program Files\KVIrc\kvirc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\Workrave\lib\Workrave.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 3\VAIOUpdt.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
C:\Windows\system32\WTablet\Pen_TabletUser.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
C:\Program Files\Apoint\ApMsgFwd.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Last.fm\LastFM.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
C:\Windows\system32\conime.exe
C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WISPTIS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Pidgin\pidgin.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10a.exe
c:\program files\relevantknowledge\rlvknlg.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1user.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sonystyle.ca/vaio
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

foxgirl

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 08:17:56 AM »
continued log:
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISBMgr.exe] "C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Unattend0000000001{5A21AF0B-DBA2-4EC9-ADAC-01D75B420C42}] %PROGRAMFILES%\Sony\First Experience\VAIOWelcome.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Corel Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\Corel PhotoDownloader\Corel PhotoDownloader.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Corel File Shell Monitor] C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\CorelIOMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechQuickCamRibbon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe" /hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KVIrc] C:\Program Files\KVIrc\kvirc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Jing] C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Jing\Jing.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Workrave] C:\Program Files\Workrave\lib\Workrave.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {02CF1781-EA91-4FA5-A200-646E8241987C} (VaioInfo.CMClass) - http://esupport.sony.com/VaioInfo.CAB
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2008.10.10_v5.5.8/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei-3/ZwinkyInitialSetup1.0.1.0.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor V6 (AdobeActiveFileMonitor6.0) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: IviRegMgr - InterVideo - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\RegMgr\iviRegMgr.exe
O23 - Service: LVCOMSer - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: RelevantKnowledge - TMRG, Inc. - C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\rlservice.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media plus Content Importer (SOHCImp) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media plus\SOHCImp.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media plus Digital Media Server (SOHDms) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media plus\SOHDms.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media plus Device Searcher (SOHDs) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media plus\SOHDs.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage Back-End Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SsBeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: TabletServicePen - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\Windows\system32\Pen_Tablet.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment TV Device Arbitration Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCs\VzHardwareResourceManager\VzHardwareResourceManager.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Event Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Event Service\VESMgr.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Content Metadata Intelligent Analyzing Manager (VcmIAlzMgr) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Analyzing Manager\VcmIAlzMgr.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Content Metadata XML Interface (VcmXmlIfHelper) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VcmXml\VcmXmlIfHelper.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment UPnP Client Adapter (Vcsw) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VCSW\VCSW.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment Database Service (VzCdbSvc) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzCdbSvc.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment File Import Service (VzFw) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzFw.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 11069 bytes

CharleyO

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 09:21:30 AM »

Analysis of your HJT log :

You do not appear to have an active firewall. Do you?

This one is bad and should be fixed ...

c:\program files\relevantknowledge\rlvknlg.exe

(RelevantKnowledge is a MarketScore variant that monitors browsing habits and sends unsolicited advertisements.)

http://www.what-is-exe.com/filenames/rlvknlg-exe.html

This one may be bad depending on if you have a use for it or not. Ir can be kept if need be ...

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Jing] C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Jing\Jing.exe

(as for me, I would not want it on my computer. Please read the analysis for the executable at this link ... http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X612345175237409438-0/JING.EXE.html )

If this one is useful for you, then it can be left alone ...

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Workrave] C:\Program Files\Workrave\lib\Workrave.exe

http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/detail.php?id=3503

This one is very questionable but it is your choice to keep or not ...

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei-3/ZwinkyInitialSetup1 .0.1.0.cab

(as for me, I would not keep it)

This one is also bad and should be fixed ...

O23 - Service: RelevantKnowledge - TMRG, Inc. - C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\rlservice.exe

(part of the other bad one above)