Author Topic: cannot run Avast in safe mode  (Read 13205 times)

yotravel

cannot run Avast in safe mode
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to run a full scan of my laptop in safe mode.  When I click on the Avast link, it pops up a title page sorta interface, says that it is scanning my memory and something else (startup folder?), and then it opens a 5 point explanation of what Avast can do.  Problem is, there is no interface for actually running a scan, just the explanation.  Anybody know what I can do?  I am currently running in safe mode without networking.  I suppose I can run with networking if that will make a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: cannot run Avast in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:13:51 PM »
Why is it that you feel you need to run a scan from safe mode ?

Firstly you shouldn't need to run a scan in safe mode, unless you have an older OS, win9x, winME, newer OSes win2k, winXP, Vista, etc. offer a better option in the form of a boot-time scan carried out before windows starts.

If you have XP, vista32bit or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, a memory scan will take place followed by the opening of the Simple User Interface, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...' Or see http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php.

If in safe mode avast isn't started, clicking the desktop avast shortcut icon should just do the memory scan followed by opening the Simple User Interface, yes you would get the help notes. I don't know if having safe mode with networking would make any difference unless avast is installed in a different location to the default (even then I doubt it), but lets not cross that bridge until you answer the above question, why you need to do this, it is the root of issue I think.

There is a possibility that your installation is not correct, why the simple user interface isn't working. From a normal windows boot - Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Problems like this can come from many things but one common one is another AV or remnants of another one still on your system.
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hines232

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 06:05:24 PM »
Firstly you shouldn't need to run a scan in safe mode, unless you have an older OS, win9x, winME, newer OSes win2k, winXP, Vista, etc. offer a better option in the form of a boot-time scan carried out before windows starts.

Hi DavidR, being that my OS is ME, if and when should I run an on demand scan with Avast, In Safe Mode ? (little confused) :o I have always run an on demand scan with full OS. Is that right or wrong ?. Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 06:10:02 PM »
Is that right or wrong ?. Thanks
If it works, it's ok to run under Windows.
Running is Safe Mode is only needed if you want to clean something and avast can't do it while Windows is running.
So, it's a troubleshooting situation, not a common task to be accomplished.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:42:57 PM »
Quote from: DavidR

Hi DavidR, being that my OS is ME, if and when should I run an on demand scan with Avast, In Safe Mode ? (little confused) :o I have always run an on demand scan with full OS. Is that right or wrong ?. Thanks

I edited the above so it is clearer for others reading this later.

With older OSes, you only need to use safe mode if there is an infection that can't be dealt with in normal mode, e.g. avast detects but can't move to the chest because the file is in use, etc.

When you boot into safe mode this is a very limited startup and the hope is that the file would no longer be in use so could be moved to the chest, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hines232

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 12:51:05 AM »
A.O.K. Guy's, DavidR and Tech. Again Thanks for the Info. ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:01:51 AM »
You're welcome.