Author Topic: vista indicator  (Read 18280 times)

Offline jimb11

vista indicator
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »
I installed 4.8.1296 and started having frequent dsl disconnets. I uninstalled it and everything is normal again. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Vista SP1
Windows Firewall
No other security software installed
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:53:03 AM by jimb11 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: DSL Disconnects
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:56:03 PM »
Strange... avast shouldn't make connections or disconnect... it just not change your connection status.
No other program? Really? Windows Firewall shouldn't be a problem either...
The best things in life are free.

Offline jimb11

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »
I installed a couple other AV programs after I uninstalled avast but neither one of them caused my dsl to drop connection! The problem has to do with avast and I don't know what it could be.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »
I installed a couple other AV programs
Which are they?
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 05:30:33 PM »
Are you using a router?  What are the symptoms of your disconnects?  Does the blue Vista internet indicator go away so the popup says you are just connected locally, or do you also lose your IP?  What providers do you have active?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:32:06 PM by sded »

Offline jimb11

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 05:38:06 PM »
1. I have only one computer with a at&t motorola modem.
2. I lose the blue Vista internet indicator. It tells me I'm just connected locally.
3. I have web, standard, & network shields running all at normal sensitivty.

sded

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
Then are nyou doing PPPOE on the modem, and your computer has a LAN IP address like 192.168.0.3?  Or are you doing PPPOE on your computer?  Does the Avast! log show anything when you lose the connection?  Next time it happens, try turning off shields one at a time and see if it makes a difference.  Shouldn't, but as Tech said, Avast! doesn't do connections, so looking at maybe interference with PPPOE or ?  I use DHCP so can't test it.

Offline jimb11

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 09:15:04 PM »
This is wierd but when I lose the blue Vista internet indicator I still can surf the internet with no problem. I guess I"ll just use a different av instead of avast.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
Can you try disabling (stopping) the Network Shield provider? Does that make any difference?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline jimb11

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
No. I just keep losing the blue Vista internet indicator now and then but it keeps coming back on it's own. When I lose it tells me I'm only connected locally but I can still surf the internet which is really wierd. This only started after I installed avast it was working fine before.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:36:07 PM by jimb11 »

Offline jimb11

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »
Is there a log somewhere I can generate that can help me troubleshoot this problem? If so please let me know and tell me step by step how I can do this.

sded

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
You right click the icon and go to program settings/logging and choose debug to get pretty complete avast! logging.  There is also a log viewer under program settings.   Sounds like it is purely an annoyance, but would be good to find.  And turning off network shield doesn't do anything?
Update: I see we never found out where you were doing PPPOE.  If on the router, then the link is being maintained by the router, and you are somehow losing a message between the router and your computer that the WAN is up. If your router is bridged and PPPOE is done on your computer, your computer is maintaining the link and message is internal.   But how this relates to an AV like Avast! ???
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:10:52 PM by sded »

Offline jimb11

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »
I found out what the problem is! When I turn off the web shield I don't lose my blue Vista internet indicator. When I turn it back on I lose it again. I don't want to use avast without the web shield so what do I do to fix this?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 08:43:03 PM »
When you loose that indicator of yours, your modem is indeed disconnected? Meaning you can not browse or ping internet sites?

What is needed for the re-connect?

Thanks,
Lukas.

Offline jimb11

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 06:09:26 PM »
No. I just keep losing the blue Vista internet indicator now and then but it keeps coming back on it's own. When I lose it tells me I'm only connected locally but I can still surf the internet.