Author Topic: Do I Protect?  (Read 3096 times)

EliyahuT

Do I Protect?
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »
hello avast

I got 5 Security Programs:AVAST PRO,MALWAREBYTES,SPYWARE DOCTOR,SUPERANTISPYWARE,SPYBOT SEARCH DESTROY.

Its Fine? ???

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Do I Protect?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:24:15 PM »
Its Fine? ???

Yes

But where is the firewall?
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »
There are a lot of anti-spyware/malware applications in your list "MALWAREBYTES, SPYWARE DOCTOR, SUPERANTISPYWARE, SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY."

Like anti-virus programs where one resident is good two can conflict, the same applies to anti-spyware applications, one resident on the rest on-demand only or they too could possibly conflict.

Taking the above into consideration, I would still say 4 is a little on the heavy side and you would have to spend time ensuring they are up-to date, signatures/program, etc.

As Bluesman mentions, what firewall, as it is an essential part of your system security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:19:30 PM »
If you're using just avast as resident, it's ok... I think more than that will be overkilling... ok, you can use one of the antispyware as resident (the free Spyware Doctor or Spybot)... but I won't ;)
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 02:05:18 AM »
Hi...

I would also add SpywareBlaster...

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html#Principles

If you're using either Windows XP SP1-SP3 or Vista you already have a limited firewall that scans incoming traffic only. Vista's firewall can be configured to scan outbound as well if you don't mind manually configuring it. There are several free full featured firewalls available, like Comodo or ZA, if you desire the extra protection. :)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:15:54 AM by ardvark »