Author Topic: for avast team  (Read 9927 times)

EliyahuT

for avast team
« on: December 30, 2008, 04:25:38 PM »
hello

why avast dosent have firewall?

today all anti virus have together firewall like:

1)AVIRA
2)AVG
3)BITDEFENDER
4)ESET
5)KASPERSKY
6)MCAFEE
7)NORTON
8)ZONEALARM
9)PC TOOLS

and alot more...

so if avast have 70 million people so why there no firewall?

you should to do a home edition stay like that and proffesional editon will get SCRIPT BLOCKING + FIREWALL....

and you should to do when scan finised on standard scan there be result...
beacuse when i do standard scan i not in computer beacuse i go school or watch tv but avast found virus and stuck at 40% and i need press delete for scan go on....

thank you for read!
bye ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: for avast team
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:35:09 PM »
It is planned for avast! 5 sometime in 2009 as Internet Security package.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »
You might be surprised how terribly bad can software be and yet be named as firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »
why avast dosent have firewall?

today all anti virus have together firewall like:
<snip>

Because it isn't a Suite, it is an anti-virus. You can get all of those mentioned as an anti-virus only if you wish and not as an Internet Security Suite. There are also many on your list that I wouldn't give HDD space to just because they have a firewall, because the rest is of suite has to be of a standard worth installing.

As RejZoR said avast has a firewall in development and when ready there will be an all in one option, but the AV will also be available as a stand alone application.

I don't like suites because the selection of which products in the suite is one made by the manufactures. I prefer to select what individual application is best for my needs in each category and not what someone else feels suits their needs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:23:10 PM »
You might be surprised how terribly bad can software be and yet be named as firewall.
You're talking about AVG firewall, aren't you? ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »
1)AVIRA
2)AVG
3)BITDEFENDER
Not good firewall.

4)ESET
5)KASPERSKY
Don't know.

6)MCAFEE
7)NORTON
Need to say something about these monsters ;) ;D

8)ZONEALARM
9)PC TOOLS
Very poor antivirus.

Offline ky331

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 12:29:57 AM »
I take the opposite approach:   I am NOT a fan of SUITES.   

Typically, a suite can be categorized by the cliché "jack of all trades, master of none" (well, more likely, master of ONE).   It is rare, if not impossible, to find a suite that's superb in all its component applications.

I would much rather have the ability to install separate components (AV, AS, firewall) so that i can pick-and-choose the combination of products that i feel works best for me:  for example, at present, i am running the following [under windows XP sp3]:
avast! anti-virus (which includes anti-spyware)
resident anti-malware:   windows defender (may not be the best, but there are very few quality choices among free products), together with spybot's teaTimer.
on-demand anti-malware scanners:   MalwareBytes anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware
comodo pro 2.4 (yes, i still use 2.4) firewall.
passive protection:  spywareBlaster, together with spybot's immunization
host-file protection:  via SpyBot
pseudo protection:  WinPatrol

All of the above are compatible, and put little demand on my system resources.

also, separate components give me the option/flexibility of changing any one component, without having to consider how changing a "suite" might impact EVERYTHING in it.   (for example, i could always upgrade to comodo firewall 3, or switch entirely to online armor)

in conclusion, i was RELIEVED to read above that "avast has a firewall in development and when ready there will be an all in one option, but the AV will also be available as a stand alone application. "   

I would hate to see avast "decline" --- as so many other formerly good products have sunk to --- by trying to take on the role of a suite... bloating in size... but no longer offering the best of all worlds.

P.S.   I realize that other people may have their own opinions/choices of alternative programs that they use, combined, in place of a suite.   As prefaced, I chose a combination which seems optimal for me.   My point is not to get into a debate about other programs that someone else might consider preferable/better... which is certainly each persons prerogative... just trying to show how things can be combined --- and just as easily replaced --- rather than resorting to the bulk of a "do-it-all" suite.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:50:34 AM by ky331 »
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

normishmael

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »
Well said,and well thought out security regime ky331. (imo)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »
Totally agree with all responses.
Avast fits smoothly with my other applications, and is one of the AV's that "plays" well with almost everything.
The way things seem to go is that often, when a vendor turns their single purpose application into a suite, problems occur.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:32:01 PM »

Avast fits smoothly with my other applications, and is one of the AV's that "plays" well with almost everything.
The way things seem to go is that often, when a vendor turns their single purpose application into a suite, problems occur.

Yep ... that is generally how it goes.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 09:03:10 AM »

Yep ... that is generally how it goes.

Well, maybe one day a vendor will overcome that challenge  :)
It doesn't have to be this way, it just happens to be...

Al968

Arup

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »
If you are behind a router, you don't need the additional filtering of an inbound firewall, what you need is a good outbound firewall along with HIPS, thats all that matters.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »
If you are behind a router, you don't need the additional filtering of an inbound firewall, what you need is a good outbound firewall along with HIPS, thats all that matters.
Is there any 'outbound' firewall without 'inbound' protection? I don't think so... the core of a firewall is the inbound protection.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
-= For me, I don't give too much attention to firewalls since avast displays pop up windows when an intruder tries to barge in.. Just like how a firewall works.. [I feel like I'm not making any sense.. haha..]
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

gate1975mlm

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 02:49:53 PM »
I do not need or want an extra firewall. I prey to god the Avast firewall will not be combined with Avast Antivirus. They need to be separate downloads!!!

I use a router and windows Vista/7 built in software firewall. Thats really all anyone needs.