Author Topic: Linux updates painfully slow  (Read 5672 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Linux updates painfully slow
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »
Updates in Linux are taking an eternity- in fact, I just give up.

Any reason for this?

Any hope of incremental updates?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Linux updates painfully slow
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:23:28 PM »
They've promised they will try to develop... but I don't think we'll see it (incremental update) very soon.
Indeed, it's taking a lot of time... we need patience...
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:45 AM »
FwF, Both The Linux and Mac versions download th Full VPS file (400.vps) on each update, Incremental update are coming eventually in future versions
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:47 PM »
I believe (zilog would have more info for sure) that the incremental updates already work in the internal builds (actually, I thought that the Mac beta already includes it, but since it's just the engine, not the program itself, I'm probably wrong?) - so it should be released really soon.

(Not only are the full updates slow for the users, they also consume a lot of bandwidth on our side - so you can believe me this issue is not ignored here.)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
FwF, Both The Linux and Mac versions download th Full VPS file (400.vps) on each update, Incremental update are coming eventually in future versions

Hallo,
incremental updates are ready, and I already offered a testing package months ago (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37582.0).
Because there's at the moment no Linux-dedicated infrastructure on our download servers, this testing binary pretends to be Avast Pro :).

let's check it - if you are bothered by downloading updates in non-incremental way, the binary from the testing package will do this for you in an incremental way.

as igor wrote, the first *NIX product with incremental updates will be the forthcoming Mac version. The core was already released, is capable of incremental updates, but when plugged (in this testing stage) to the old version, this feature won't be utilized yet.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)