Author Topic: Is there an Option to place an Avast Protection Footnote in outgoing Email ?  (Read 2214 times)

Plado

I've looked everywhere for an option to switch on (in Avast Home edition) a footnote in email to say
"This email is checked and protected for Viruses and has been declared clean etc etc...."
Or sometimes you get it email with
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by XXXXX program and then the version number etc.

I don't mean those exact words but I've forgotten what they call it when you have a short paragraph announcing what protection the email has and what program has been used to check the cleanness of the email and any attachments before it went out.

Maybe you only get them printed onto your email by your own system after it comes in,
but I notice that none of my emails to anyone have this footnote when they arrive. 
Anyone I know who uses Avast home edition doesn't have a footnote on their email to me either.

Have I misunderstood how this works?   There used to be a switch to turn the facility on/off in the old Norton and AVG types of Anti Virus programs if I remember rightly.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Assuming that you are using a regular email client to send your emails (ie not sending email via a Web interface) and that you are using the regular unsecured port 25 for SMTP then:

avast Internet Mail provider > Customize > SMTP tab > Check the box "Insert note into clean message"

This does nothing for your security (you will not see the note in your sent mail - it is appended after you send it) and your correspondents should never trust such a note but ensure they perform their own scan of incoming mail.

Plado

Thank you for that help. I'm sorry to say I still can't find the settings that you mention.
Yes I am using port 25 for SMTP but the only settings I can find for SMTP are in the main program settings and show SMTP configuration for when you want Avast to send email itself and it says it doesn't affect anti virus detection.

Incidentally I'm using good old Outlook Express version 6.
I've got the Avast Free version 4.8 Home but my problem now is finding the Menu that you say is
avast Internet Mail provider >Customize >SMTP tab >

I wondered if I would find this in Enhanced User Interface but when I tried to switch that in, I discovered it's not provided on the Free edition.

So I wonder if I could beg a little more help please.  I take note of your warnings about the message doing nothing for security I just wanted to let mail recipients know what program I'm using for my anti virus as I find myself constantly having to recommend AVAST to my friends. It seems everyone eventually has trouble with the expensive main Anti Virus programs that come bundled with their new PCs such as McA and Norton and even the other free ones.
I switched to Avast 8 months ago and I'm very pleased I did.  It has been superb.
--
Plado

Plado

It's OK cancel my last posting, I've found the menu eventually.
The problem seems to be that there are two interfaces for Avast, one on a Right Click of the TaskBar activity (a) icon and another one on the Opened control panel for scanning operations.
The Task bar one had an item at the top
On Access Protection Control.  I clicked on that and got the Internet Mail and Customize buttons in there.  So I switched on the Insert Note for Clean message.

Job done.  It would have been easier if the software writers had stated something that makes a little more grammatical sense than "Insert Note for Clean Message".  eg "Insert "Clean message" note in outgoing email".  It could even have shown an example of what the note will say when posted at the end of the outgoing email message.
It was a little light on information.  But I got there in the end and thank you for your useful assistance.
--
Plado