Author Topic: Problems with latest update dep_strFreeString  (Read 15788 times)

faust

Re: Problems with latest update dep_strFreeString
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
BTW there will be yet another avast program update tonight so you may actually hold fire till tomorrow.

Ok, so now that version 4.8.1296 is uploaded, I tried a complete reinstall.  First I ran the uninstall program (aswclear.exe) from Safe Mode, rebooted, and then ran the install program, only to receive an installation error.  The log reports (among other things):

30.11.2008 03:21:12 file: Extract: tried to extract 'LangMai.dll' from pkg 'av_pro_dll409' but failed miserably. Error code 0x00000057

I also got numerous lines such as:

30.11.2008 03:20:57 package: IsFullOkay: vpsm-8112700.vpu - not okay (doesn't exist)

Several days before I tried to reinstall an earlier version (avast4.8.1229.80923) which I was able to install before, and got the following errors:

26.11.2008 10:30:15 file: Extract: tried to extract 'aswRdr.sys' from pkg 'av_pro_core' but failed miserably. Error code 0x00000057
26.11.2008 10:30:16 system: Error copying driver file E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys (0x00000002)

I tried to install again and got yet another error:

26.11.2008 12:09:10 file: Extract: tried to extract 'aswCmnOS.dll' from pkg 'avscan' but failed miserably. Error code 0x00000057

Ok, so it appears that due to randomly varying errors, I can no longer install Avast at all... anyone got any ideas what is going on here?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:54:00 AM by faust »

Ebrudalson

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 10:50:42 PM »
Hi, I also ran into the same problem. I tried to uninstall avast as suggested. It seems to be OK, however when I want to reinstall I get the message "an error 5 (00000005) has occurred.Last performed operation was: spawning." I even tried to disable simple file sharing in Win XP SP3. What could have remained from the installation ? I also made subsequent registry cleaning. Please help with ideas.

Ebrudalson

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »
It was my avast blocking installation. Don't know why. Now it's OK.

peter20

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 01:36:35 PM »
Hy, I have this problem too and I couldn't solve. I didn't even find a related topic beside this one...

There are still NO SOLUTION of this problem after a month?? What can we do? Did anybody succeed? Or there is only one solution left: XP reinstall?

freesh

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »
Folks,

I managed to solve this issue after a lot of pain on Windows Vista.... I was unable to start the avast control panel, and running the latest installer to repair / reinstall / remove did not work.  I tried to download and run the aswClear.exe utility, but it told me that self protection had been enabled... run in Safe mode.  Unfortunately, Safe mode did not work for me (it blue screens... another issues...) Here's what I wound up doing in order to reinstall the latest version:

1. Download and install Revo Uninstaller: http://www.revouninstaller.com/

2. Run Revo Uninstaller and uninstall Avast using the "Advanced uninstall mode".  This runs the avast uninstaller, then lets you choose which registry keys to remove (choose all), and then lets you choose which files to remove (again, choose all)...

3. Ran aswClear.exe -- and unfortunately got the same error.  This led me to suspect that there was still something lurking in the registry... Ran regedit, and there were.  If you search around, you'll see keys for self protection mode and other settings. Unfortunately, I was not able to remove these keys.

4. Download and install ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/ (perhaps another registry cleaner would work)

5. Run ccleaner (3 times -- it finds more entries every time...) Though I didn't see any entries related to avast being fixed or removed....

6. Download and install latest version of avast -- and for whatever reason it worked!

It wasn't my computer, and the OS was installed in a language that I don't understand... I don't really know why it was able to install despite (theoretically) that self protection registry key still existing... and yet it worked.

Hope this helps...