Author Topic: Avast Web Shield & Ad Muncher problem, what to do?  (Read 10114 times)

Avast Web Shield & Ad Muncher problem, what to do?
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:15:31 PM »
Hello All!
I have recently start to use Ad Muncher ( which is the pop-up & advertisement blocker.
The problem is, that from that time Avast WebShield stopped to scan my web traffic :-[.
Any suggestions on that problem will be appreciated ???.
P.S. hint: Ad Muncher uses 9000 port for filtering content.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Web Shield & Ad Muncher problem, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:52:27 PM »
Add the admuncher port to the web shield redirect ports and remove the Ignore Local Communication option, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:19:03 PM »
Thanks David :)
It seems now there's all back to normal

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:27:20 PM »
Your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

miscreant

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:35:15 PM »
Add the admuncher port to the web shield redirect ports and remove the Ignore Local Communication option, see image.

Hello David....
Is this remedy preferable to the editing the avast4 .ini  under webscanner
OptinProcess=admunch.exe?
What is the difference between the above and what you have suggested?
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »
Well the optin, is normally used for a 'browser' that isn't one that the web shield would otherwise monitor. AdMuncher isn't a browser but a proxy filter that filters ads out in its proxy before the remaining content is viewed in your 'browser'

miscreant

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:16:09 PM »
Thanks for that information David
m

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:28:12 PM »
Your welcome.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 12:29:58 AM »
Hello,

Adding the ad-munch port instructs WebShield to scan not only connections going to the web servers directly, but also those going through ad-munch. In effect it means the data between the browser and ad-munch are scanned.

Adding admunch.exe into the avast4.ini - Optin will instruct webshield to scan the data before they reach ad-munch. So it may be seen as the more secure option, on the other hand you are scanning all the content (mostly ads) that will be immediately removed by ad-munch.

I would prefer the former solution - to modify the list of redirected ports.

Cheers,
Lukas.

lighthouse

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 06:41:17 AM »
Hello,

Adding the ad-munch port instructs WebShield to scan not only connections going to the web servers directly, but also those going through ad-munch. In effect it means the data between the browser and ad-munch are scanned.

Adding admunch.exe into the avast4.ini - Optin will instruct webshield to scan the data before they reach ad-munch. So it may be seen as the more secure option, on the other hand you are scanning all the content (mostly ads) that will be immediately removed by ad-munch.

Cheers,
Lukas.

New user here - I stumbled across this thread searching for a solution to the exact problem mentioned here - I too am using Admuncher and Avast, but the web scanner does not seem to work by default.

Using the OptinProcess command works for me, but would I be correct in assuming based on what you said, that ads would be downloaded, then scanned, before finally being removed by Admuncher - if so bandwidth is not saved and is the reason why you prefer the former solution.

If one is using Window's firewall, is there anyway to implement the first option - I used TCPView to identify the connection ports, but they seem to be changed dynamically. In otherwords, if one is not restricting the ports an application can use, is there any other solution to implement the first option or something similar, i.e. Let Admuncher remove what it needs to, before Avast finally scanning the data?

miscreant

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:25:56 PM »

The same bandwidth would be used up by ads passing through admuncher whether avast webscanner ,scanned them or not,so there is no bandwidth to "save".Personally id leave the optin process ,as it works fine and scanning a few ads is negligible.Check your web shield scan count ,and i think you'll probably find it quite low anyway .Most ads are tiny kb.I wouldnt worry and leave it as it is.
m
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:28:14 PM by miscreant »

lighthouse

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Okay, it's been a little while, but I am back to using Avast after a long period with Antivir.

Referring to my post regarding Ad Muncher and Avast's Webshield, could I get confirmation on this please.

Hello,

Cheers,
Lukas.

In simple terms, why was the former method prefered? Was it as I stated in my previous post?

"Miscreant" stated that there is no bandwitdth to "save" and the same thing is scanned regardless, but forgive my ignorance, but I am of the understanding that software such as Ad Muncher actually prevents adverts and whatnot downloading, based on a url filter match and thus if there is a match, an advert would not be downloaded. I am not quite sure of the details of Avast's webshield scanning - if it works in a similar way or actually needs to download the whole file first.

I would really appreciate it if someone could alleviate my confusion in this matter, as over here in Australia we do not have unlimited broadband capacity and even saving 100MB a month can mean the difference between our connections being slowed to a snail's pace or running at broadband speeds.

I basically want to know if using the OptinProcess in the Avast4.ini file, negates the benefit of using Ad Muncher - i.e. saving on the downloading of ADs not just hiding them.

Thanks for any help