Author Topic: klomp.exe seems to have disabled IE  (Read 6506 times)

lister

klomp.exe seems to have disabled IE
« on: January 03, 2009, 02:03:49 AM »
I've got something called klomp.exe that seems to have installed itself into IE.

I opened IE and my firewall (Comodo) asked if I wanted to allow it, I blocked it and now when I try to start IE ii asks if klomp can start instead.

Any help here? Avast! is detecting nothing.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: klomp.exe seems to have disabled IE
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 03:06:12 AM »
From what I've seen o the net, it appears this is a fairly new browser hijacker. I think you did the right thing by denying it permission in the firewall.
Have a look in the Windows\System\System 32 folder, and see if the files "Klomp.exe" and "qdbon.dll" are present, and if so, can they be deleted?
Try downloading http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and installng it. This is a very good demand anti-malware scanner. Update it and run a scan.
More info here: http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=c6d87592eb13f43c7e0bc9590632f064
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

noeff

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »
How to remove klomp.exe (also known as qdbon.dll).

I had a problem starting Internet Explorer, but this solved it:

1. First, remove, using HiJackThis, registry input C:\WINDOWS\system32\xwr63956.dll

2. Using regedit, remove registry-key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe.

3. Finally delete these files from windows/system32:
 xwr63956.dll, wr63956.dll, xa?????.exe (files starting with the letters "xa") and qdbon.dll.

Regards

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »
@ noeff
Thanks for the input, what would also help for anyone with this problem is, before deleting any files, send samples to avast to improve detections.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jenjenmi

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 02:52:53 AM »
How to remove klomp.exe (also known as qdbon.dll).

I had a problem starting Internet Explorer, but this solved it:

1. First, remove, using HiJackThis, registry input C:\WINDOWS\system32\xwr63956.dll

2. Using regedit, remove registry-key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe.

3. Finally delete these files from windows/system32:
 xwr63956.dll, wr63956.dll, xa?????.exe (files starting with the letters "xa") and qdbon.dll.

Regards

Thanks for the good tips.  I'm a McAfee user and though it caught a few files coming in, it didn't catch enough and I was affected.  These tips helped me get back up and running...guess I'll submit my files to McAfee for detection as well.