Author Topic: Network shield once again blocks access  (Read 8886 times)

NoordZee

Re: Network shield once again blocks access
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 02:36:36 AM »
Thanks for all your input.  I uninstalled Spyware Detector and reinstalled it after freshly downloading it from Max Secure.  After that, I did a live update and to my surprise, Avast let me do this.  I subsequently tried to visit www.maxpcsecure.com and again Avast does not now interfere.  WOT does interfere, but I have added at WOT comments in favour of www.maxpcsecure.com and now find that this site opens straight away when I try to visit.  WOT still warns that this site is dangerous, but bear in mind that this rating comes from individuals who for one reason or other have perceived a problem which may or may not be related to said site.  Never mind, all is well for now and I always appreciate the speedy responses from members of this forum.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 03:21:22 AM »
I would have though that it would have taken more than a few people to sway it that much, which lessons the value of WOT to a degree.

It does however allow you to white list it so you can get past it and as you have done submit your own report.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
I have noticed WOT false alerts with more frequency now... troubleshooting forums, sites for freewares, etc. Difficult to trust with so many false positives just based in user opinions.
Does anybody knows a substitution for WOT with Firefox?
The best things in life are free.

normishmael

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 06:22:14 AM »
I have noticed WOT false alerts with more frequency now... troubleshooting forums, sites for freewares, etc. Difficult to trust with so many false positives just based in user opinions.
Does anybody knows a substitution for WOT with Firefox?

Well there is Finjan SecureBrowsing ,It is more of a URL scanning thing as you know.
It seemed to cause a hang more or less in Firefox. What gets me about WOT is someone orders a set of RED jalapeno boxers from a site,they ship a pair of GREEN Jalapeno boxers,and the site gets a red
circle,as if it were downloading malware.
Thats a inherent problem to the comunity based stuff.
The threatfire guys admit as much,when they allow you to opt out of the community based thing and still get updates with the paid version.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:29:23 AM by normishmael »

NoordZee

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »
I agree with the above that some websites have been "rated" by only a very few individuals.  We all know that, no matter where you go and how you go about things, there are always people who find fault.  Often the fault might lie somewhere else but meanwhile the site has now turned into a malicious site.  Food for thought.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
Well there is Finjan SecureBrowsing ,It is more of a URL scanning thing as you know.
But it only scans searches and not open pages.
The best things in life are free.

normishmael

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 07:20:31 AM »
But it only scans searches and not open pages.

Yeah,forgot about that.