Author Topic: Define rules?  (Read 11015 times)

s0urce

Define rules?
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »
Hi,

i am using avast now for a long time, but one thing i didnt find till now.
Is it possbile to define rules with avast?
I mean, tell avast what to do if it finds a virus without popping up a dialog.
I often backup my whole harddisk over night, and the problem is, i dont wanna disable avast, but if i dont - it pop up a dialog a 10% and my backup hangs till next morning when i click on the avast dialog. That's really a problem for me - and i think for many others too.

Thank you very much, s0urce.

GrizeBar

Re: Define rules?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:55:19 PM »
Hi,

i am using avast now for a long time, but one thing i didnt find till now.
Is it possbile to define rules with avast?
I mean, tell avast what to do if it finds a virus without popping up a dialog.
I often backup my whole harddisk over night, and the problem is, i dont wanna disable avast, but if i dont - it pop up a dialog a 10% and my backup hangs till next morning when i click on the avast dialog. That's really a problem for me - and i think for many others too.

Thank you very much, s0urce.

I believe there is an option to Perform Same Function (or words to that effect) when it encounters a virus. You will have to wait until it does, then tell it to perform a function, (Send to Chest, Delete, Ignore, etc.) then check that option to perform that function without User intervention and let it continue.

s0urce

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »
Ah, this seems the only way i didnt already tired. :) thank you
But is the setting the rule for all scans now on, or just for one scan, or till i restart the pc?

GrizeBar

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
In my experience, it is valid for one scan only unless there is a configuration option I'm not aware of.

s0urce

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:04:33 PM »
hm... ok...
i dont do a scan, i just copy files, and the avast resident scanner popup the messeges, so what is "one scan" in this situation.
but thank you for helping me, mb an admin can explain this a little more detailed

GrizeBar

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
As long as you have the Standard Shield active, it should catch any baddies that try to invade your system, and you receive your Avast! Updates regularly. Make certain that Automatic Updates are toggled on. There are times, however, when I've had to stop the Standard Shield to allow certain programs tagged as FP's to run, but toggle it back on when terminated. Within that space of time, I am at risk of picking up bogies from the Internet, so I make it a practice to do a complete scan at least once every week to be certain that the system is clean.

onlysomeone

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 03:30:06 PM »
I'm afaid that this function is not available in the Home-Version of avast!
In the Pro you can set a default action or something like this i think...

yours
onlysomeone

GrizeBar

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »
That's odd! I have the Home Edition and the option is available.

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »

really? can you post a screenshot?
(i use the pro and can do this but i thought the home wouldn't have the recognice-action or automatically do this or that...)

GrizeBar

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:49:09 PM »
I'm scheduled for a scan today. I'll Export a file from the Chest to cause the popup, and take a screen shot, then post it here.

onlysomeone

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »

really? can you post a screenshot?
(i use the pro and can do this but i thought the home wouldn't have the recognice-action or automatically do this or that...)

Well - now i made a screenshot of avast home finding a virus while working (not in a scan) and there is no option of recognizing what to do...

probably i misunderstood the topic, but what i think that is meant is not available in the home-version... :)

GrizeBar

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

Okay, I see the discrepancy. I'm getting a different popup message. Trojan Horse instead of Virus. Notice the box labeled "Don't show this dialog next time". If I check that, the scan will continue without popups.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:11:45 PM by GrizeBar »

leomin

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
As far as I know, there is an option in the Home Edition to make the Guard react automatically when it finds a threat, but there is no such options for the scanner.

leomin

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »
In the picture above, Yes means "ignore(and deny access)" and No means "quarantine"

s0urce

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »
@leomin: i found this option, but what it do if i make "yes"? "yes, delete it", "yes, move it" or "yes, ignore it"?

@GrizeBar: i dont have this option, i got the same as "onlysomeone" - wich version do u use?

@all: Any1 else knows a solution how to set rules?

thx