Author Topic: Avast Icon has red circle  (Read 2844 times)

washann

Avast Icon has red circle
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:53:39 AM »
I have had problems with Avast over the last couple of months.  The Avast Icon has a red circle in it.  I have done the repair which has been working or the complete uninstall with the avast uninstaller and re installing a new copy.  Up to two nights ago I cannot get the avast to run as the red circle is a permanent in it.  I have put other antivirus's on but none are working to my satisfaction as they are taking forever to scan and none others can do a boot time scan.  Also all the others aren't free.  Hoping someone can help as i dint feel comfortable to use computer if antivirus isn't working.

onlysomeone

Re: Avast Icon has red circle
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
So is there now any other antivirus or security-program on your computer?
which OS?
which version of Avast do you use?

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:47:42 PM »
Hi...

What other antivirus programs have you installed besides avast? Also, to rule out a possible malware infection, I would recommend following this regimen from Tech, a member of this forum...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41495.0

Just scroll down to the fourth post. :)

Best Regards...

washann

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
I have Avira Antivir Personal which is working alright.  I only downloaded it a couple of hours ago,but i would prefer Avast back on. I am using XP.  I will try the regimen that has been posted and see if that helps.

onlysomeone

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »
if you want to install avast again you have to make sure that avira is completely removed...

did you ever use a norton product (antivirus, 360,...) on this pc?

GrizeBar

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
Did you disable the On-Access protection? Try right-clicking the icon in the Taskbar and look at the bottom line. If it says "Start On-Access Protection". then click on it.