Author Topic: Changing Port 110 incoming email  (Read 3748 times)

marciew

Changing Port 110 incoming email
« on: April 27, 2004, 01:12:42 PM »
I just downloaded this program & a message came up that my incoming email cannot be scanned because Port 110 is already in use.  I went to the Help section & read about Manually changing the Port for incoming email, but It seems to involve registry changes & a lot of other changes that I have no clue what to do with.  I ran the Email Wizard but the Port problem still exists.  Can anyone tell me how to go about changing Port 110 to something else without it being a long, involved ordeal?  Otherwise, I will have to uninstall Avast because it's useless if it can't scan my emails.  Thanks very much!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Changing Port 110 incoming email
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 03:26:50 AM »
I just downloaded this program & a message came up that my incoming email cannot be scanned because Port 110 is already in use.  I went to the Help section & read about Manually changing the Port for incoming email, but It seems to involve registry changes & a lot of other changes that I have no clue what to do with.  I ran the Email Wizard but the Port problem still exists.  Can anyone tell me how to go about changing Port 110 to something else without it being a long, involved ordeal?  Otherwise, I will have to uninstall Avast because it's useless if it can't scan my emails.  Thanks very much!

You can edit the avast4.ini file:

To use and configure more than one application to use the ports 25, 110 and 143 of your computer (for instance, a spam killer). If you have installed another program that uses these ports as well, it is necessary to change the port values for one of them.

In the case of Mail scanner, you can do this by setting the items SmtpListen, PopListen and ImapListen. For example:
SmtpListen=127.0.0.1:26
PopListen=127.0.0.1:111
ImapListen=127.0.0.1:144

Consequently, it is necessary to set the same port values in your mail program. If you wish the Mail scanner to cooperate with this another SMTP/POP3/IMAP - proxy/server-type program that is installed on your computer, it is necessary to properly set the items DefaultSmtpServer, DefaultPopServer and DefaultImapServer. For example, if you want to configure your system so that the Mail scanner "sits between" your mail program and a spam killer  running on the same computer, configure items Listen as above and add: DefaultSmtpServer=127.0.0.1:25
DefaultPopServer=127.0.0.1:110

Known problems: If your e-mail program does not support authentication (logging in) on SMTP server, or it cannot set a different login name for SMTP than for POP (e.g. Eudora), the Mail scanner will not be able to send your e-mails through multiple SMTP servers. In that case, use the UseDefaultSmtp=1 setting; your e-mails will be sent through a single SMTP server only, just as in avast! version 4.0.235 and earlier. If the internet connection is too slow or the message being sent is too long, it is possible that the period your mail programs waits for the response, expires. A mail program that automatically disconnects after the times elapsed is not able to send such a message. This error will not be corrected, due to the characteristics of the SMTP protocol. It is necessary to set the interval to the highest possible value. When downloading a long message from a POP3 server, messages about timeout expiration should be eliminated. But it is still recommended to set this interval to the highest possible value, too. If your mail program downloads the message text and attachments separately from IMAP server (e.g. Eudora), no additional information will be put into the header or the text of the message. The checkbox "Insert note into clean message" on the "IMAP" page of the Internet Mail configuration will not work in that case. The Mail scanner does not support SSL (TLS) connections.

More information about the avast4.ini file here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647;start=0
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Changing Port 110 incoming email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 03:31:40 AM »
Other information about changing ports: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=4143

Hope this help  8)
The best things in life are free.