Author Topic: avast on pc without net connection  (Read 1696 times)

anupupadhye

avast on pc without net connection
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:03:53 AM »
i have installed avast on a pc without net connection.. i cannot update it.. do i have to download the the latest virus database (ill download from a pc havin net).. and if i do so will i get all the virus definitions till the date?? pls help..

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: avast on pc without net connection
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »
The normal updates to a network connected avast system are incremental updates and are usually very small in size and are merged into the avast database on a regular basis.  This is the preferred way of updating an avast system.

For supporting a system without a network connection from a system with a network connection ...

If you have a system with a network connection you can download the full avast anti-virus signature file from:

http://www.avast.com/eng/updates.html

This is a 20+ Mb file that you can transfer to and execute on another system with avast installed to provide the latest updates to that system. 

anupupadhye

Re: avast on pc without net connection
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »
hi
one more thing.. when i installed avast home 4.8, on the pc, the 1 without network conn.(pc in office) and entered the reegistration code, it showed a msg as invalid code. that code worked on the my pc... when i proceeded i was offered a boot time scan, i started it found a few viruses. note that dis is before installing the updated vrdb.. actions wer given such as move/rename, del, move to chest, ignore etc.. i selected the move to chest option but some errr came, i clicked repair all; same ereor. den i selected ignor and completed boot time scan..
when i started pc and again tried for a manual scan it found a virus but was not able to mov to chest or repair. also the ignore option  wasnt der...
i want to ask whether dis problems ll b solved after i update d software??
thanx