Author Topic: Help - Avast won't stop scanning (icon ball won't stop spinning)!  (Read 5940 times)

Offline audiodrome

I just installed Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster (which I didn't realize were resident not on-demand) and now my Avast icon won't stop scanning. Usually it just scans when I first boot up and then once in a while after that, but now it's spinning all the time and the drive noise is very annoying. What 's going on? Should I disable or uninstall either of these new programs? I assume it's these programs because they are running all the time. The noise of them constantly scanning is driving me crazy!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:14:39 PM by audiodrome »

Offline audiodrome

Re: Help - Avast won't stop scanning (icon ball won't stop spinning)!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »
OK, it seems to have settled down a little bit but my machine is still a lot more "busy" than it normally would have been without these programs. Is this normal?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help - Avast won't stop scanning (icon ball won't stop spinning)!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
SpywareBlaster is a passive immunizing tool which doesn't run in the background, you download its updates and apply the updates to your browsers, etc. (single click action) and you then close the program.

S&D isn't resident unless you select the option to run TeaTimer, it doesn't conflict with avast, unless it happens to take a dislike to ashDisp.exe the avast system tray icon.

So neither of those should have this effect, unless you were running a scan with S&D ?

The avast icon only rotates when it is scanning, so are you running anything in the background, like a P2P application, etc. ?
As a temporary measure you can enable this from the avast on-access protection control screen (right click the avast icon) - Standard Shield > Customize > Advanced - 'Show detailed info on performed actions' this option is normally off by default or it would drive you bonkers. This will show what is being scanned, which may give you an idea of what program is responsible for the activity, which is causing avast to scan files.

This function is also on the Web Shield and Internet Mail providers so you could also check those, if the Standard Shield doesn't show the activity (but that probably won't be required).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security