Author Topic: Unable to load profile/into windows due to Avast (Xfire)  (Read 2491 times)

Ddraig

Unable to load profile/into windows due to Avast (Xfire)
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »
Howdy,

I've experienced this before with a different anti-virus and was hoping Avast would be different. I've run the Home version for a few weeks now with no problems and I upgraded yesterday to the Pro version. Avast Pro is doing the same thing Panda used to do. I get to my login screen and it won't let me get any further the background is blue and just sits there. I then have to hold the power button in to turn off the PC so I can log in with my backup profile. I stopped Xfire from auto starting and I'm able to get in to my profile through my backup profile. I don't want to do this, I would rather have xfire run at start up.

What causes this is Avast must be attempting to scan something with Xfire which is set to auto start. The same thing occurred with Panda, however I was able to turn off the feature that was casing it TruPrevent.

Panda Anti-Virus has a thing called TruPrevent where it monitors what is going on and basically alerts you if it thinks it has found a virus. It is not quite real time protection because it does some type of checking. Excerpt from Wikipedia: Truprevent Technologies offers generic protection against many of the techniques most commonly used by new malware, and policies and rules are developed based on the new vulnerabilities that appear every day.

How do I turn this off?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Unable to load profile/into windows due to Avast (Xfire)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
There's no such thing in avast.

If you have a PS/2 keyboard (i.e. not USB) and wouldn't mind sending us a full memory dump (which would be quite big), here is a description on how to generate such dump (the discussed problem is unrelated and very old - but the description is valid).
The dump may tell us why the lock-up occurred, and possibly help us with a fix or workaround (though, if it's the second antivirus with these symptoms, my guess would be that the real problem is on Xfire side - I remember their LSP component used to be rather buggy - but it's hard to say for sure without the dump).

Ddraig

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
Hmm... I do have a USB keyboard, I presume that is only for initiating the dump? If so I will attempt this when I get home.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »
The PS/2 keyboard driver catches the magical shortcut and initiates the dump; the USB keyboard driver can't do it, at least not on XP.
What operating system do you have, btw?

Ddraig

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
XP :D

I will dig up one of my ps/2 keyboards.