Author Topic: Updates No Longer Automatic?  (Read 4765 times)

Offline idleracer

Updates No Longer Automatic?
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:52:40 PM »
Hi, although my home computer has been equipped with AVAST <currently 4.8> for three years now, recently something has changed, and I'd like to know if I just accidentally pushed the wrong button or something.

Up until a few weeks ago, updates were always automatic. A little blue (or sometimes green) window would pop up in the lower right-hand corner and inform me that my computer has "just been updated" every day. This stopped happening a few weeks ago, and I have had to manually click on the update mechanism every day to make sure everything up to snuff. Is there any particular reason for this?

I'm new to these forums, and I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Updates No Longer Automatic?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:43:51 AM »
Essentially nothing has changed in the auto update that would stop it working and since you can do a manual update the functionality works and isn't being blocked by your firewall.

What is your firewall ?
Are you getting any errors related to the auto update ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Error or Warning sections, this contains information on errors, etc. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hlecter

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:20:59 AM »
Just to exclude the obvious:

Have you right-clicked avast-icon, chosen program settings and looked at update(basic).

Just to check that Virus Database updates still are set to Automatic?

I suppose you have checked, but just in case it is altered to Manual...

HL

Offline idleracer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 05:30:42 AM »
Just to exclude the obvious:

Have you right-clicked avast-icon, chosen program settings and looked at update(basic). Just to check that Virus Database updates still are set to Automatic?
I suppose you have checked, but just in case it is altered to Manual...
HL
Yes, thank you, I did check that and it's set to automatic.

Offline idleracer

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 05:36:07 AM »
Essentially nothing has changed in the auto update that would stop it working and since you can do a manual update the functionality works and isn't being blocked by your firewall.

What is your firewall?
Are you getting any errors related to the auto update ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Error or Warning sections, this contains information on errors, etc. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
I believe you are probably correct. A few weeks ago I discovered that someone was hacking into my computer during the wee hours of the morning (sometimes I fall asleep to internet radio and leave the internet on), so in addition to the standard Windows firewall that I've always used, I also activated my modem's firewall (it's a Westell 327w). Tomorrow, I will try turning off the 2nd firewall during daytime hours, and see what happens. I will report back and thanks!  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »
The questions I asked in the text you quoted, helps us to help you. As I said I don't believe your firewall is blocking avast (as by your answer, neither have outbound checking) and the manual update works, so don't turn off your firewall.

A hardware firewall, modem/router unless it specifically says so doesn't provide outbound protection.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo (care required now it is a suite not to install the anti-virus element), PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.

So that leaves with the questions about errors displayed or in the log viewer and if you tried the avast repair I suggested ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline idleracer

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 03:46:49 AM »
The questions I asked in the text you quoted, helps us to help you. As I said I don't believe your firewall is blocking avast (as by your answer, neither have outbound checking) and the manual update works, so don't turn off your firewall.

A hardware firewall, modem/router unless it specifically says so doesn't provide outbound protection.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo (care required now it is a suite not to install the anti-virus element), PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.

So that leaves with the questions about errors displayed or in the log viewer and if you tried the avast repair I suggested ?

Guess what...It turns out it was the modem's firewall. :D I didn't have to turn it completely off, I just switched it from the "High" to the "Low" setting, and the Avast update immediately popped up! Suddenly a bunch of radio stations that wouldn't allow me to listen (most notably the BBC) have also resumed working again!

What I have decided to do from now on is switch my modem's firewall into the "High" position in the evening, if I'm going to leave the computer unatended for any length of time. Tomorrow, I'm going to try the "Medium" position, and see what that allows. Incidentally, here are my exact options...

HIGH: Blocks all outgoing traffic except Mail, News, Web, FTP, and IPSEC   
 MEDIUM: Same as high, end user can set custom rules through NAT configuration.   
 LOW: Only known security holes are protected   
 NONE: All traffic is allowed   
 CUSTOM: Customize settings

If you have any better recommendations, I'm all ears. I'm going to check out your links. Thank you very much!  ;)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:08:15 AM »
David,

I just took a look at this product's manual.  It is one that specifically provides outbound as well as inbound filtering/blocking and the user can configure the rules as needed. It the poster is comfortable with managing this hardware firewall then a software firewall too would appear to be overkill.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »
That is good news as otherwise people live in a false sense of security believing they are protected.

As you mention this type of rules based firewall is fine if the user is comfortable with creating the rules, etc. no need for a software firewall too.