Author Topic: Facing Problem with new Avast home  (Read 2980 times)

cool.abhi

Facing Problem with new Avast home
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »
Hey Guys, ;D
I M Using windows vista & I am Facing A Problem after I installed Avast's Latest Version.
i M Not able to surf when the web shield is active.
before avast, Norton Internet Security was installed I have removed it completely frm the system.
Only The Instant Messengers are working with the web shield is active.
plz Help me out
 :'(

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Facing Problem with new Avast home
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »
Hi cool.abhi,

If you are sure that you have completely removed all other A/V programs, and Avast! is up to date, and you have run any windows updates available, then it should work fine.

Have you disabled the Web Shield and were able to browse the web?

Have you tried a reboot of the computer?

Have you done a virus scan with avast, and maybe a scan with Malware-Bytes?

What does your browser tell you when you try to browse?  Does it say that the page cannot be displayed, or does it never load the page or something else?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:36:09 PM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

darth

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »
Norton sometimes leaves bits and pieces after convental removal using add/remove.  Norton removal tool can be downloaded from http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039.

onlysomeone

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:59:24 PM »

Hey Guys, ;D
I M Using windows vista & I am Facing A Problem after I installed Avast's Latest Version.
before avast, Norton Internet Security was installed I have removed it completely frm the system.
Only The Instant Messengers are working with the web shield is active.
plz Help me out
 :'(

did you run the removal tool?

run it and repair your installation of avast after this.

here's a link... if it doesn't work try to search for "norton removal tool" on google or someone else can put a link here...
Norton Removal tool

EDIT: darth was faster :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:03:09 PM by onlysomeone »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:02:21 PM »
I definitely should have told him to use the norton removal tool ;D  I must have missed that in his post.  Oh well, glad you guys are on top of it!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:36:29 PM »

As has been said Norton can be a pig to remove and you should run the suggested tool.

However there could also be another thing that gets in on the act (your firewall) in a new installation.
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security