Author Topic: mail and IE problem after installing Avast  (Read 2356 times)

johninfrance

mail and IE problem after installing Avast
« on: January 26, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
Hi, I'm sure this has come up before but I'm having trouble after installing Avast. Last week I downloaded Home edition onto a USB key, copied and installed it onto a Dell laptop running Vista after uninstalling McAfee.  No problems and all is running fine; in fact, that's what I'm using now.
The problem came when I installed on my ancient desktop. First uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2008. Installed Avast. Connected to internet via IE and got messages "IE cannot display the webpage" on all sites except HTTPS sites, such as the bank, which loaded and ran fine fine.  Second, Outlook express gives server error message:-
"Server response err cannot connect to POP server 213.36.80.100 (213.36.80.100.110) connect error 10061 Port 110 secure SSL No server error 0x800CCC90 " 

When I disabled Avast all returned to "normal"  The desktop is an 5 year old Dell, running XP and we are still (sigh) on dial up with Alice (previously Tiscali)

Can any body help?  Please treat me as an idiot when it comes to making changes/corrections, I just sit here and use this thing!!  Many thanks in advance   John

sded

Re: mail and IE problem after installing Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »
There are often problems for other security programs because of the residue left over from NIS if you do a standard uninstall.  Norton recognizes it and makes a full uninstall tool that you can download at http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 .  You may also need to uninstall and reinstall avast! because this residue may have interfered with installation.  Avast! uninstall tool is at http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html .  If you still have problems, post back and we can help you further.

johninfrance

Re: mail and IE problem after installing Avast
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »
Dear Ed Thanks a lot. That worked perfectly. Avast now reinstalled and working fine.  Great forum with so many helpful experts.  Best wishes to you all,  John