Author Topic: Tracking Cookie ad.yieldmanager be gone  (Read 17076 times)

Rob8urcakes

Tracking Cookie ad.yieldmanager be gone
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »
Hi Guys,

I notice from a forum Search for ad.yieldmanager a few Users have problems banishing forever this persistent beastie from their computer, and would ask if we should expect avast! Home to deal with this particular tracking cookie (and any others folks may have foisted on them)?

Many public sites such as Yahoo! and the Yahoo! Instant Messenger (YIM) utilise ad.yieldmanager which can be effectively blocked using an ad-blocker or the NoScript add-on in FireFox, but once the cookie is installed it keeps returning even after being removed (by eg SuperAntiSpyware) and being blocked in the browser because use of YIM ensures the cookie returns to spy on your every move.

Is avast! Home a program that deals with removal and blocking of such tracking cookies via browser and an Instant Messenger?
If so,
precisely how (in true idio-proof terms) do we configure it to do so please?

If not, then I sincerely apologise for wasting your time.

Spiritsongs

Re: Tracking Cookie ad.yieldmanager be gone
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:31:10 PM »
 :)  Hi :

A while back I became aware that Yahoo uses a "web beacon", which is what
 you MAY be talking about !? Yahoo provides a way to "Opt-out", which I used
 at that time by clicking on their "Privacy Policy" and going through various
 screens until I reached the "Web Beacon(s)" and selecting the "Opt-Out"
 Option .

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »
Don't yet know if it'll work but I've now opted-out of Yahoo's web beacons - thanks Spirit.
UK folks can opt-out by clicking on the link about 3/4 down this page (via the redirect)

http://rdrct.com/http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/uk/yahoo/webbeacons/

There's also two UK opt-out's for web beacons and for "off network targeting" at the very bottom of this page

http://rdrct.com/http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/uk/yahoo/cookies/

I've also clicked to opt-out of their "off network targeting"  -  I'll let you guys know later whether or not this works.

Jahn

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
I use MVPS Hosts which includes (blocks) the many variations of ad.yieldmanager, and other tracking cookies and malware. I've also added some of my own entries to it. You can also block unwanted cookies in your browser, but using a Hosts file is easier and more inclusive.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
If you use firefox, then you can add the NoScript add-on, which has an option to block web bugs. NoScript Options, Advanced tab, Untrusted tab, Forbid Web Bugs, no need to opt out and very helpful for those web bugs you know nothing about.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:07:04 AM »

Don't yet know if it'll work but I've now opted-out of Yahoo's web beacons - thanks Spirit.
UK folks can opt-out by clicking on the link about 3/4 down this page (via the redirect)

http://rdrct.com/http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/uk/yahoo/webbeacons/

There's also two UK opt-out's for web beacons and for "off network targeting" at the very bottom of this page

http://rdrct.com/http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/uk/yahoo/cookies/

I've also clicked to opt-out of their "off network targeting"  -  I'll let you guys know later whether or not this works.

So far it hasn't worked Spirit.  After doing both opt-outs, I ran cCleaner to remove the offending cookies, leaving the basic yahoo.com cookie in place to remember my settings.  Then re-booted.  Went back to Yahoo Mail in FireFox and all was well, but after opening YIM the dreaded ad.yieldmanager has popped back up.  So sad.  If it's still the same by this tomorrow, I'll try John's idea ....

I use MVPS Hosts which includes (blocks) the many variations of ad.yieldmanager, and other tracking cookies and malware. I've also added some of my own entries to it. You can also block unwanted cookies in your browser, but using a Hosts file is easier and more inclusive.

Also, with regard to David,

If you use firefox, then you can add the NoScript add-on, which has an option to block web bugs. NoScript Options, Advanced tab, Untrusted tab, Forbid Web Bugs, no need to opt out and very helpful for those web bugs you know nothing about.

as soon as I read your Post I ticked the box to Forbid Web Bugs even though I'm pretty sure I was already being protected from this tracking cookie latching on via FF.  It's bound to give other or additional protection, so thanks for that David :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »
You're welcome, you should also in firefox deny third party cookies, e.g. those not for the site you are using, they are more commonly considered tracking cookies.

The thing with web bugs if you tried to block by domain it is a constantly moving target that you are shooting at, so the NoScript web bug saves constantly updating these domains.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:14:55 PM »
 :)  Hi :

Rather than use a specialized "Hosts File", I prefer to use the FREE
 SpywareBlaster from www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html  which
 includes protection from unwanted cookies . There is a "Tutorial" on this
 program at www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial49.html .

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »

... you should also in firefox deny third party cookies, e.g. those not for the site you are using, they are more commonly considered tracking cookies.

The thing with web bugs if you tried to block by domain it is a constantly moving target that you are shooting at, so the NoScript web bug saves constantly updating these domains.

I had a look at the FF Tools > Options > Privacy tab > and am pleased to confirm "Accept third-party cookies" was already unchecked my friend (makes a pleasant change to discover I actually had some of these damned settings right  ;D )

On the NoScript thingummy, I've only been using that delightful program for about a month or so, but am too much of a dummy to know how to properly set the various options so had left it as it came. 
I forgot to ask you if there's anything I should look out for that would ordinarily be safe and OK had Web Bugs not been checked/ticked?

@ Spirit and John please (or anyone else who'd like to shed light on this)

I looked at both SpywareBlaster and MVPS and it seems they provide protection via the browser only, whereas I'm certain I already have full protection by implementing FireFox's Privacy Options in conjunction with NoScript and a neat wee add-on called FlashBlock.  I also have AdBlock Plus installed to kill any other nasties.

So, despite having opted-out yesterday of Yahoo web beacons and off network targeting (which I today checked were still disabled), I'm also fairly certain the path used by ad.yieldmanager to persistently return is via Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM) and none of the above (including SpywareBlaster and MVPS) seem able to protect me via YIM which is why I asked in my OP if anything can be done via avast! Home.  Or am I still being a dummy and one of them does protect from the YIM path?

I'm also thinking of making a complaint to Yahoo Customer Services because their opt-outs don't seem to cover YIM, but previous contact with them on other issues has been less than helpful.

What do you think guys?  Can avast! Home (or something else) block ad.yieldmanager placement via YIM?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
Generally the default settings for NoScript are fine, there are some people that want to go a step further in tweaking it, but that can really have an impact on your browsing if you tweak within an inch of its life, only when it dies do you know you have gone too far, not good.

NoScript negates the need for FlashBlock as it also blocks flash unless you allow it, e.g. click on the NoScript flash blocked icon.

For me CookieSafe is a good add-on, unlike NoScript is doesn't block automatically, but what it does is only allow session cookies, e.g. they are only valid for that session so no long term tracking is possible. For some sites like the avast forum or sites you have to log-on to, they store your user info on the cookie so you need to allow them.

Jahn

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »
I looked at both SpywareBlaster and MVPS and it seems they provide protection via the browser only...
A Hosts file works with any app that accesses the internet, not only browsers. I use SpywareBlaster also because of the malicious ActiveX and websites it blocks in IE. However, it does little for Firefox except block some tracking cookies.

From the MVPS link above:
Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local (your) machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »
I've again checked if YIM is still placing the yieldmanager beastie and can confirm it is - so much for Yahoo's privacy policy and their alleged opt-outs mentioned above.

So, I've now applied Jahn's (sorry for calling you John earlier) suggestion and have implemented MVPS Hosts.  Will confirm later if this has worked.

Meantime, all contributors to this Thread receive my uncondintional thanks and appreciation for being here.  You guys are simply the best.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 11:10:25 PM »
You're welcome, glad I could help.

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »

I looked at both SpywareBlaster and MVPS and it seems they provide protection via the browser only...
A Hosts file works with any app that accesses the internet, not only browsers. I use SpywareBlaster also because of the malicious ActiveX and websites it blocks in IE. However, it does little for Firefox except block some tracking cookies.

From the MVPS link above:
Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local (your) machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

So, I've now applied Jahn's (sorry for calling you John earlier) suggestion and have implemented MVPS Hosts.  Will confirm later if this has worked.

So far so good :thumbsup:  The beastie seems to be gone even after using YIM, and if it stays away you have my eternal gratitude and respect Jahn :worshippy:

One thing though Jahn, does the MVPS list limit some websites' functionality?  And if so, is there a quick on/off toggle for the Hosts feature?

darth

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
Also you might check out the utility HostsXpert. You can add/delete entries in the hosts file.  It is recommended that DNS be turned off in services.  It has been reported some machines are a little slower with DNS turned on.  I might say I noticed no difference in speed here.  Hosts file block third party ad servers such as ad.doubleclick.  Inline ads delivered by the web site such as google.com are not blocked.  Further, to speed up loading of your browser,  Use edexter a tiny http server. It fills in the blank space where the third party ad would be with a red dash.  It has been reported that some web browsers such as opera will wait a long time for the third party ad to try to load.  Edexter takes care of this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:37:21 PM by darth »