Author Topic: Tracking Cookie ad.yieldmanager be gone  (Read 17074 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Tracking Cookie ad.yieldmanager be gone
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
Also you might check out the utility HostsXpert. You can add/delete entries in the hosts file.  It is recommended that DNS be turned off in services.  It has been reported some machines are a little slower with DNS turned on.
In some machines, it just loop (svchost.exe from DNS service)... It happens with HostManager also.
The best things in life are free.

Jahn

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »
You're very welcome. The important thing is you're seemingly making some progress with this.

So, I've now applied Jahn's (sorry for calling you John earlier) suggestion and have implemented MVPS Hosts.  Will confirm later if this has worked.

So far so good :thumbsup:  The beastie seems to be gone even after using YIM, and if it stays away you have my eternal gratitude and respect Jahn :worshippy:

One thing though Jahn, does the MVPS list limit some websites' functionality?  And if so, is there a quick on/off toggle for the Hosts feature?
Yes, it can. I use RenHosts to temporarily disable/rename the hosts file while troubleshooting a web page. But use caution! There's a reason that site is blocked by MVPS Hosts, and it should be further investigated. I use the Firefox add-ons Finjan Secure Browsing, McAfee SiteAdvisor, and WOT (Web of Trust, you will need to register a free account to use it) for checking out websites. Once installed, a Google or Yahoo search will contain the ratings from each of these site rating companies. I believe some members here use Scandoo in addition to, or instead of the ones I've mentioned. Another handy add-on to have is Dr. Web Link Checker. You can right-click a link and Dr. Web Antivirus will scan it in real time and report it's findings.

Additionally, a hosts file is a simple text file which can be opened and edited with Notepad. Again, be careful, and understand what you are doing.

Info and downloads:
http://securebrowsing.finjan.com/
http://www.siteadvisor.com/
http://www.mywot.com/
http://www.scandoo.com/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/938

If you're experiencing a slow-down on all websites, darth makes a valid point about disabling the DNS Client service in Windows. BTW, all of this information is contained in my original link to MVPS.

Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.

To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

* Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
    * Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
    * Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
    * Select: Manual, or Disabled (recommended) click Apply/Ok and restart.

Let us know how you come along...

John... er... Jahn ;D

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 12:41:53 AM »

... I use RenHosts to temporarily disable/rename the hosts file while troubleshooting a web page. But use caution!

... darth makes a valid point about disabling the DNS Client service in Windows.

Had already disabled the DNS Client - thanks guys.
And now also got the RenHosts.bat and it seems to work too, though untried on any site so far (and I had to remove the .txt from the d/l).

But I've mucked up my Firefox about:config trying to set the browser.xul.error_pages.enabled to false because the context menu didn't show me the Modify option.  So I ended up creating a new line (which I can't delete) called "false   user set   string" and the entry in the Value column is blank, but I'm hoping it wont actually do anything as it's just gobbledygook.

It's strange I can't modify the browser.xul.error_pages.enabled to false  :o 

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »
OK guys, I can confirm the pesky ad.yieldmanager is indeed gone, banished from my precious for ever more - thanks so much, and wooohoooooooooo.  *Rob dances around the room like an errant child on unneeded anti-depressants.

I just need to tie up a few loose ends such as that in the Post above and the following please.

Also you might check out the utility HostsXpert. You can add/delete entries in the hosts file.  It is recommended that DNS be turned off in services.  It has been reported some machines are a little slower with DNS turned on.

In some machines, it just loop (svchost.exe from DNS service)... It happens with HostManager also.

I've also just found that I already have HostsXpert but had forgotten about it as I didn't really understand what it was for.

@ Tech - what is it that loops exactly?  And how is that resolved and/or avoided Tech?

axia121

Re: Tracking Cookie ad.yieldmanager Yahoo and eBay LIE about ad yieldmanager
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »
Both ebay and Yahoo lie about ad yieldmanager. They both use adyieldmanager / rightmedia.com.

When I contacted eBay about adyieldmanager they said they were not responsible for the warnings from spywaredoctor alerting me about ad yieldmanager.

This is a LIE just place your cursor on some of the advertisements from Yahoo or eBay and notice the bottom panel of your screen, you will see it say's ad.yieldmanager on the bottom left of your screen on certain advertisements.

I tried writing rightmedia.com to opt opt of their cookie. I also went to the yahoo web beacon page to opt out, but this only works for a little while.

I wish I could write the cuss words I have for ebay and yahoo.
  >:(