Author Topic: Installing Avast Home Edition  (Read 2470 times)

wris

Installing Avast Home Edition
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:16:37 PM »
I am going to install the latest edition of Avast home edition for my antivirus protection for the first time.  I have a question about setup.  When program is installing, two of the options are:  1) Internet Mail – which is used for Outlook Express and 2) Outlook/Exchange which is used for MS Outlook and MS Exchange.  I think both of these are checked by default.

As I use Outlook Express for emails, should I UNCHECK the option for Outlook/Exchange, or would I need to leave it checked, as defaulted, and let it download.    Will it affect the program if I don’t download it, or will it affect it negatively if I do download it and don’t use it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Installing Avast Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »
No the Outlook/Exchange isn't checked by default (it wasn't for me) unless you have MS Outlook (not express) installed. So for most people they will see 6 of 7 providers running.

Perhaps I should rephrase that after a standard (non-custom) installation the Outlook/Exchange shouldn't be running. If you are doing a custom install you can uncheck the option.

If however, for whatever reason it is running after installation and you don't have MS Outlook, Terminate the Outlook/Exchange provider and answer Yes to the question (persist the changes, etc.).

All elements will be in the installation, just not running, even if you uncheck the option, so in the future if you use MS Outlook you can start it with no re-download/install, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wris

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »
Thanks very much for the reply.  The reason I asked is because when I read thru the 81 page   :o  manual, it showed a screen shot for configuration when going thru setup  with all of the options checked, page 14.  So, I assumed they were checked by default and I was supposed to remove the checks for any I didn't use.   The heading under configuration was "resident protection".  You answered my question that the program downloads all options, and I just have to deselect later.  Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security