Poll

Everybody had doubleclick on their comput atleast 100 times but is it safe to have it?

yes
no

Author Topic: Doubleclick harmful or safe?  (Read 11103 times)

zone12

Doubleclick harmful or safe?
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:00:10 AM »
Everybody has this aleast a few time but since its just a simple cookie I was wondering if it was safe or not to have it.

ardvark

Re: Doubleclick harmful or safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:08:05 AM »
Everybody has this aleast a few time but since its just a simple cookie I was wondering if it was safe or not to have it.

Hi...

It's not dangerous in terms of altering or destroying code in your operating system but it does track your movements online, hence my vote. See here...

http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453060829

May God Bless you!

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:12:20 AM »

I agree with ardvark for the same reasons.

Never accept 3rd party cookies. If that stops you from going to some sites, then you are better off not going.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:14:23 AM by CharleyO »

hlecter

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »
It's of course not directly unsafe, but at best very irritating being tracked.

If it only were Doubleclick, but there is a lot of tracking companies.

3 party cookies always turned off here.

HL

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:31:56 PM »
Not a security risk/dangerous as such but it is gathering information on the sites you visit for marketing purposes, which may at some point mean targeted ads. As such it provides zero benefit to you and only a hindrance to you IMHO

The third party cookie is the main concern as far as tracking goes and as has been said you should deny all third party cookies.

I use the firefox CookieSafe add-on which includes many of these marketing/tracking cookies.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
Hi DavidR, zone12, hlecter and CharleyO, ardvark,

Drive-by downloads became increasingly common in 2008. With webmasters becoming more aware of security issues, the criminals out there are always looking for new techniques to ensure that their malware survives longer.

And what could be easier than to use Google? Everybody does – so why shouldn’t virus writers? Recently we’ve been seeing attacks which work in the following way.

Also consider this indirect impact: Three-quarters of all Web sites that try to foist malicious software on visitors are legitimate sites that have been hacked, a report released today found. Even worse, most of these compromised sites are social networking communities and some of the Internet's most popular destinations.

Those numbers come from stats (PDF) collected in the first six months of this year by Websense, an online security company that scans more than 40 million Web sites hourly for signs that they may have been compromised by hackers.

Websense found that 60 percent of the Top 100 most popular sites this year have either hosted malware or forwarded visitors to malicious sites. The company also says that nine out of 10 of those compromised sites were social networking or Web search sites.

"The majority of these attacks are using Web properties as repositories for malware, mainly because they let users upload content," said Dan Hubbard, the company's chief technology officer. Some of the most frequently targeted communities include AOL, Facebook, Geocities, Google's Blogspot and Google Pages, and Rapidshare, Hubbard said.

Most of the Web sites either hosted malicious content or silently redirected visitors from trusted pages to hostile sites. Hubbard said the redirect most favored by attackers is at DoubleClick, one of the Internet's largest online ad companies,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
David mentioned CookieSafe ... quite a few other security utilities have had Doubleclick blacklisted for years, considering it undesirable adware.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 03:27:14 AM »
Hi Polonus...

Thank you for giving us the heads up on this, I had no idea. :o

May God Bless you!

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 08:37:11 PM »

As with the example (a reality, actually) Polonus gave above, it is logical to think, and to understand, that malware writers will use any means possible to infect computers with their malware.

The simplest ways are easily used because the general populace does not believe, nor even think about, these ways as being avenues into their computers.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:37:53 PM »
Sorry folks but it may present you with an undesireble ad but not with something harmful.
Disallowing it can however prevent some pages from loading.
The choice is yours.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 12:06:29 AM »
I have had doubleclick blocked with several different tools, cookiesafe, adblock plus, NoScript and to my knowledge it has not cause a page not to load.

If a site decides that it won't load because you deny the doubleclick cookie I would have to say that site doesn't get my custom.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security