Author Topic: Bad md5 signature  (Read 4415 times)

LaraineB

Bad md5 signature
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:22:52 AM »
I received the error message Bad MD5 signature .....  file has been downloaded on to your desktop.  I then put the file in the trash and a little while after my computer crashed.  I forced quit and when I restart MAC Book it flashed up that a file was missing and I couldn't open the MAC.  I am now having to reinstall everything.

I received this message again, about 2 days after on my MAC PowerBook G4 and I terrified to trash this 400.vps file on my desktop in case the same thing happens with this computer.

I've never had a problem like this with a MAC before, what's going on.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Bad md5 signature
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »
Hallo,
this is just saying "virus database was downloaded somehow corrupted, and was put to desktop for purposes of later analysis".
probably, there was some connectivity problem, or one of our servers is temporarily in desync. just try updating again, and probably, everything will be OK.

those files on desktop could be deleted, usually (no extra analysis is necessary, until the problem is really deterministic and persistent).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)