Author Topic: License invalid for purchased Avast for Mac  (Read 12590 times)

2119zam

License invalid for purchased Avast for Mac
« on: January 09, 2009, 04:46:52 PM »
I have purchased the Avast for Mac:

why do I keep getting this prompt when I click on the icon of the purchased and installed file?

Application Expired
The license is invalid or has expired. Without a valid license you can not use the avast! application anymore.

Carlton R. Young

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: License invalid for purchased Avast for Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »
Do you have the system date/time set correctly?

2119zam

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
The date and time are automatically set via Time Apple.com

Should I use international preferences?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:12:14 PM »
I have purchased the Avast for Mac:

why do I keep getting this prompt when I click on the icon of the purchased and installed file?

Application Expired
The license is invalid or has expired. Without a valid license you can not use the avast! application anymore.

Carlton R. Young

Hallo, in the dialog, just click "remove license" - then, the app will return to the trial-mode (valid for 60 days after installation). if not, something with local time is bad, on your machine. Then, plug the license in again - should be accepted, if not, then maybe the license is bad, or badly stored from the attachment to the file. In caseof any problem, contact our support, they can re-generate your license-file, if lost/broken.

But, anyway, here's new beta-engine testing version, which works without license, so it's maybe worth of testing too.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

leawil

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:26:48 PM »
Experiencing same problem on iMac w/OS 10.5.5  Avast keeps telling me that license has expired, and that is was installed on 12Oct07.  It was installed on 14Oct08.  System time is updated continuously from Apple, date/time is correct now, was correct when Avast was installed.

Something is corrupted.

Suggestions?

Lea Williams

sustarich

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 11:42:12 PM »
Same thing, all bad! Prgram will not let me change key that you didn't properly. Sent a movie that doesn't work? Help!!

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
Experiencing same problem on iMac w/OS 10.5.5  Avast keeps telling me that license has expired, and that is was installed on 12Oct07.  It was installed on 14Oct08.  System time is updated continuously from Apple, date/time is correct now, was correct when Avast was installed.

Something is corrupted.

Suggestions?

Lea Williams

Yes, the "installed" field shows different timestamp in this case, but the functionality is correct (is handled elsewhere, anyway). Just take your license file, and plug it in. Doesn't work? The, the license file was probably corrupted or modified somehow (it must stay in the same form as was sent to you). AV_MAC "feature" must be visible, in this file.

In the case that you license is corrupted (when incorrectly saved, from your mail client, for example), try to store it again (as FILE, not copy-pasted text), or write to our tech support, they will generate new one for you.

also, you might switch to the beta RC-engine, which doesn't need license for one year (but, will also accept any valid license).

Note that ALL such complains about "my license doesn't work" were related to currupted license file, in the past. No bug in license handling is known.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

lirol1

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »
hello
i have the same problem, it wont let me change the license, or maybe i'm not doing it right, but it seems to need a file and all i got was a number on my e-mail....
help!   ???

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »

Something is corrupted.

Suggestions?

Lea Williams

the "installed" field displays wrong part of the timestamp, but it's only eye-candy in the GUI, the whole functionality is buried in the daemon, and working properly (linear epoch-based time is used everywhere).

just click "remove license" (application would return to the trial-mode, temporarily), start the app, and plug the license in via menubar->License...  it it would stop working again, just click "remove license again, to get it working, and then, menubar->Window->Activity Log...   ... and there should be visible the reason .

regards,
pc

PrincipledSeeker

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:20:54 PM »
Small bump!

I have the same problem as lirol1. I have been emailed a new license code, but the program demands a license-file. It gives me the option to either 'Change license' or 'Quit'. I cannot click on the 'license' tab in the menu.

I have removed the program and re-installed it, all to no avail.

Any ideas guys?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »
Small bump!

I have the same problem as lirol1. I have been emailed a new license code, but the program demands a license-file. It gives me the option to either 'Change license' or 'Quit'. I cannot click on the 'license' tab in the menu.

I have removed the program and re-installed it, all to no avail.

Any ideas guys?

Anyway, you can always drop the license entirely (and then, until the 60day period expired, at least trial mode is back). Please, send me your license to cimbal@avast.com , I'll have look at it.

thanks,
pc