Author Topic: Scanning Stops At The Same Spot But Not On Any One File  (Read 2802 times)

lee88

Scanning Stops At The Same Spot But Not On Any One File
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:56:08 AM »
I've only had Avast home version 4.8 a few weeks and it scanned fine, using the 'simple user interface' up until now. I use windows xp and have only one av and one antispyware program and one firewall but it doesn't matter if I'm online or off. The problem is, it totally stops scanning files around 27,000 files, 1%, it does not stop on the same file but it's always somewhere in Documents and Settings, I can't pinpoint the folder and even if I could, don't know what I would do with it. The pointer works so it's not frozen, just stops scanning around that point. Once the scanning locks up and I try to close the program by clicking stop, then I get the hourglass and it's frozen. I have no choice but to go to task manager and end the program there, sometimes it says Avast "is not responding." It WILL complete a boot scan (found no infections) but when I do it manually thru the interface screen it stops as I described. I usually do a thorough scan and scan the archives so I disabled 'scan archives' but that didn't help, it still stopped, only this time at around 25,000 files instead of 27,000. I don't want to reinstall the program without knowing what the problem is, only to have it come back. I saw no error in the log file. What is causing this and what can I do??   Thanks

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Scanning Stops At The Same Spot But Not On Any One File
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »
Another user with what sounds like an identical issue, here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41663.0
Hopefully after the next database update it might be resolved. You might want to check your database version against the one reported.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »
Thanks to Tarq57 for connecting these posts.

As noted, this is an unusual occurrence that I am sure is an oversight on the part of the avast folks that will be quickly remedied by them, as Tarq57 suggests, in a soon to be available VPS update.

cm64

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 02:06:53 PM »
I'm having the same problem. When I scan using Standard all OK but if I select Through it hangs at 7%, using 99% cpu.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:42:13 PM »
Problem is fixed with avast update 090110-0.