Author Topic: correct set up of free edition, some questions  (Read 2625 times)

meikme

correct set up of free edition, some questions
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:49:59 AM »
Hi, i have installed avast free edition because i prefer the functions (emailscanning etc).

But some things are not clear to me,

This is what i want part 1: When avast scans mails, i want viruscontaining emails to go to the qarantaine/chest. Is this possible, i have the idea not,  i have the idea avast will immediately destroy emails with viruses? (At least i cannot find a function anywhere where to say: put infected files into chest. Can an expert tell me how to set this up properly?

Part 2: Same goes for when i want to do a full systemscan, i like that to happen automatically and that avast places infected files in quarantaine/chest and doesnot just delete things. And ofcourse i also refer to the webshield/resident shield, etc which i would also like to behave the same way.. Same here, i cannot find anywhere a setuppage in avast how to handle with virusses/infected files. Help in this wanted in step by step easy language..

don't forget i use free edition, helpfile seems to be more related to pro-version.

How to set it up correctly?

The helpfiles confuse me and give info about both free and non free version and i cannot find the anwers for this. So please donot quoate a piece of the helpfile here please as i need some easier language.. a step by step anser would probably help me well.

So, important general question is: how should i set up avast that if it finds a virus, that it will be put in the chest/qurantaine...?

Part 3:   Very important question too : How do i easily completely shutdown avast when i want to do that?

Thanks alot in advance,

btw ,, i use windows vista.

MeikMe

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: correct set up of free edition, some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »
Part 1
We can not answer that if you don't tell us how you retrieve your email first. Webbased, Oulook, Exchange......?

Part 2
Have you read "CheckListSimple.chm" and "help.chm"? The avast help files?
If avast! finds something, just select "delete" or "move to chest" or whatever you wish and put a checkmark at "always perform this action" then hit continue

Part 3
Define completely. Do you mean the scannning options or also the automatic update checks?
Why disabling avast anyway? Your system will not be secure if you do so.
You can easily disable scanning temporarly (not recommended) by right clicking the blue ball and choosing "disable on access scanning"

If you click the blue ball once, you will be presented the "protection console". You can enable/disable certain providers there as wel make many settings for each provider. If you want to see the full settings possible, start avast > menu > settings

Kaaskop  ;D

meikme

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »
Hi, thanks for answering:

concerning part 1: i refer to both, webmail and emailprogram on pc (for example winmail like clients).

part 2 So am i reading correct that then i should not run a avast scan in silent mode because then it will probably just delete files? helpfile really doesnot explain this. Or can i do it in silent mode anyway and will then avast still not perform any action? This is weird to me, why can i not preprogramm avast so that if virus, etc is found, it automatically goes to quarantaine? Or can i? Tehn i really need good step by step info, not a helpfile.

part 3: i like to know which scanner works best for me and therefor want to be able to completely turn it (avast) off, so yes, inclusing updates, whatever.

Thank, Meikme (also a Kaaskop) but some cheese tastes very good.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:23:31 PM »
I'm living in the Netherlands also. Dutch from birth, but currently a world citizen officially since many years. That is why I said "kaaskop" :-)

Part 1]
Webbased mail and pop mail are different things.
- Webbased
click the blue ball, choose the "internet post" > "aanpassen" > geavanceerd. Set "stille modus" as you wish.

- Outlook/Exchange
click the blue ball, choose the "outlook/exchange" > look at "virus opslag" en "geavanceerd". Set them as you wish.
Note! Outlook is NOT the same as outlook express!
If you are any other email client, search this webboard. For many the settings etc are already explained in detail.

Part 2]
Yes you can run a scan in silent mode. General answer "yes" means it will automaticly delete the files that are detected as infected. General answer "no" means you will be represented with details about the scan when it is done and give you the oportunity what to do with them after the scan.

Part 3]
That is what they call "A BIG No No". NEVER install multiple anti virus software on 1 system. Although 1 is disabled, they still can conflict and result in all kinds of problems. Like there are: Missing to detect infections, slowing down a system, causing all kinds of errors etc etc etc. If you really want to try/test different av's.... Use a test system. Install windows on it (including all drivers etc), created a image of the system, install 1(!) av and test it. Then put back the image, install another av and test it. etc etc etc

Keep also in mind that nothing is perfect. There always will be things that avast detects and other not and vica versa.
Just a suggestion if I may, click on the link in my signature and read the malware removal instructions site.