Author Topic: No support?  (Read 4477 times)

GlynH

No support?
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »
Hi there,

Is there a problem with http://support.avast.com/ this morning?

All I get in IE7 is a blank screen...it is possible it could be a setting here but if so I am not sure what?  ???

Also does anyone from Alwil ever visit the WHS Forum on a regular basis as it seems to me many threads lack an official response from Alwil and end up going unanswered - it seems like the forgotten forum in many ways... ::)

Excuse me if I have misunderstood - the forum by definition might be tailored specifically to encourage answers by other users and not by the 'Management'  ;) but I know there are many replies from Vlk and others here.

Maybe I'm being too impatient...it is a quality I have in spades! :D

Also is there a way to subscribe or be notified of replies to a thread please? I have this feature in other forums but although I have looked I didn't see the option here...but then again my eyes are not what they used to be!  ;D

It's OK...I've just seen the Notify button at the bottom of the post - here was me looking in my User Profile Account to see if there was an option to activate it permanently...DOH!  :-[

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:51:12 AM by GlynH »

sunrisecc

Re: No support?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »
Hi there,
Is there a problem with http://support.avast.com/ this morning?
All I get in IE7 is a blank screen...it is possible it could be a setting here but if so I am not sure what?  ???

AS I reported in another topic, I had the same problem where IE7 would not work but FF3 did. I solved the problem by deleting two cookies wrt support.avast.com. I used Karen's Cookie Viewer (freeware). I just tried the site with IE7 and it still works. However only one cookie was generated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:42:40 PM »
This site (the support one) is not 100% reliable... sometimes, it gets out...
Maybe something in its hostage? ???
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »
Hi...

As of Friday the 9th, 5:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, the site works just fine. :)

May God Bless you!

GlynH

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies...

sunrisecc: I'll take a look for your other topic...should have done a search first I suppose  :-[

tech: Wouldn't it be ironic if my installation of Avast! itself is preventing my accessing their own website?  ;D

ardvark: Glad it works for you but just because it does may not mean it works for me and as of the time of my reply it is still not working here - blank screen only! :'(

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
ardvark: Glad it works for you but just because it does may not mean it works for me and as of the time of my reply it is still not working here - blank screen only! :'(

Ok...my intention was just give a FYI bulletin, not to be curt or rude.  ???

Do you have this issue with any other browser or just IE7?

Best Regards...

cod head

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
I am on I.E.7.and just looked at the link without problem so I do not think its a conflict with I.E.7.and Avast.Must be a glitch elsewere I presume.Hope you get it sorted soon. :).

sunrisecc

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 03:53:34 PM »
I'll repeat my findings from a couple of days ago.

Some reported that they could not get to support.avast.com and IE7 just displayed a blank page with done as the status. Earlier this week, I had it happen to me too. However FF3 worked okay. I even posted the source of the page from view/source. This led me to investigate the cookies for IE7. Using Karen's freeware Cookie Viewer, I discovered two cookies for IE7 (in two different locations) and only one for FF3. I deleted both IE7 cookies and then IE7 had no difficulty with support.avast.com. Only one cookie was regenerated since then. I can speculate that the cookie definition was changed a while back. (I hadn't been to support.avast.com in a while).

While there may have been some instances with the site having a problem also thrown in, the cookie problem identified earlier this week resolved the problem for me and some others.

Edit: Previous topic reference: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40774.0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:56:58 PM by sunrisecc »

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:40:08 AM »
I'll repeat my findings from a couple of days ago.

Hi...

Thank you for clarifying this. :)

Best Regards...

sunrisecc

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 02:45:47 PM »
You are welcome!

GlynH

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:46:27 AM »
Thanks for the info & update sunrisecc: I'll take a look when I get a little time...

Never for one second did I think you were being curt or rude ardvark: I do not use any browser than IE7 on any machine here. I have just tried the link from a couple of other machines on my network and all seems OK so it points to a local problem on this machine.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-