Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187877 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2009, 11:12:35 AM »
Actually CIS is a pretty good option for those companies that don't want to spend any money on protection, yet they want to have something. It's better than ClamWin and can be used in commercial environments.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009, 11:48:35 AM »
and modfying a few bytes of a binary is often all that's needed to bypass the AV. WHAT!!? Tell me your joking.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

solcroft

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2009, 12:00:37 PM »
Actually CIS is a pretty good option for those companies that don't want to spend any money on protection. It's better than ClamWin ...
Well, that's certainly news to me.

and modfying a few bytes of a binary is often all that's needed to bypass the AV. WHAT!!? Tell me your joking.
This is true for all AVs, actually... though to varying degrees of difficulty.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2009, 04:08:58 PM »
Yeah, well most of free AV's are strictly limited to home personal usage only. CIS however is not as it's free anyway (Pro pack is just extra insurance and support). So yeah, it can be used even in companies...

solcroft

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
I meant the "better than ClamWin" part. ;D

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
Hey Everybody !

Just wanted to let you guys know what you can expect in the next version of CIS 3.5:

Heuristics - This will be added to the Antivirus Component. The Heuristic will be similar to CIMA and on similar lines to Kaspersky and Avira.

Threat Cast
Extended Whitelist & Blacklist for the Firewall & Defense - This will provide even greater usability! If the  AV in CIS detects a malware for example for blacklisting, D+ will not bother alerting for it. Whitelisting, same thing, theoretically you should not get a D+ Alert. Over 1 million whitelisted executables will be added.
Brand new AV Signature Format - The signature format will improve for speed & efficiency, Due to so many malware getting sent to Comodo and so many signatures getting released. Memory Consumption will be reduced, Removing malware will be better, and less False Positives.
Comodo Memory Firewall, full developed & integrated
Comodo BOClean

Release date is unknown.

Attention! This is in no way a recommendation by me for anyone to install CIS betas! but...

CIS Beta 3.5.61373.458, including many of features listed above (e.g. no CIMA based "heuristics" yet) was released yesterday. Most horrifying is the almost orgasmic (in one case literally) euphoria of many users/testers' forum comments.  :o ::) ;D
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2009, 09:48:45 AM »
Well it has some awful scanning problems. It took like 2 hours just to scan harmless MP3 files where avast! would have completed that in like 10 minutes at most...

sded

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2009, 04:28:35 PM »
Took a quick look to see what was happening, and other than the euphoria there seems to be an incomplete alpha product that has been released for public testing and for investigating the potential of some interesting new features.  If you enjoy security product testing as a hobby, seems lots to have fun with and try out as the product matures.  But as Comodo warns, it is not for a production environment, or for use in a machine you are dependent on.  John Navas summarized it well at http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_internet_security_cis_firewall_av_and_defense/comodo_internet_security_3561373458_beta_qas_feedback_screenshots-t33174.0.html;msg238581;boardseen#new .  So looks like the answer today is still Avast! by a wide margin.  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:10:36 PM by sded »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
No that is not true I am using it and it is wonderful it makes me breakfast in the morning and supper at night, it also controls my home security. (If you believe ANY of that then send me cash to PO BOX 453 thanks.)
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

sded

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »
This should give the Comodo mods plenty to do also.  Maybe they can open a PayPal account for gratuities?  ;)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
In all honesty I see Comodo (as in the suite C.I.S) getting worse before it gets better.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
Lol I would not put it past them they say they have a huge team all working on different products, hmmmm that I think is a lie they might have a big  (maybe 300 staff) team but when they have a deadline they all work on the same product as some products they have there have not been updated in quite a long time.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2009, 05:57:44 PM »
Actually CIS is a pretty good option for those companies that don't want to spend any money on protection, yet they want to have something. It's better than ClamWin and can be used in commercial environments.

PC Tools av can be used in commercial environments.

PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition feature highlights
Protects your PC as you are working, surfing and playing
Detects, quarantines, disinfects and destroys Viruses, Trojans and Worms
IntelliGuard™ protects your computer against threats in real-time
Automatically checks for frequent updates against the latest threats
Best of all it's FREE. No catches, limitations or time-limits.

Free for Personal & Commercial Use
Spyware Terminator is licensed for free for both home and business use.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:01:45 PM by rdmaloyjr »

sded

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2009, 06:13:22 PM »
Have you ever been involved with major software developments?  Seen the problems of wrapping that many people around a product, even with a whole lot more discipline than Comodo exhibits?  There seems to have been a misconception on the existence and completion of the new features in the beta, at least by those who understand what a beta is.  But Comodo so far has shown the deep pockets necessary to fix things.  Again, good luck to them, but ??? 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:17:46 PM by sded »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
Ah ha but that's my point having money does not mean all products they produce will be perfect (in saying that nothing is but.) I think they should just work on what they are good at and leave the rest, Comodo is trying to be all things to all people, but right now they are coming across as jack of all trades master of none.