Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187200 times)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

normishmael

Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 04:29:16 AM »
You know, I will not eat a bowl of chili if it is not Wolf Brand,
have used the same toothpaste since I was a kid,etc.
The point is I understand brand loyalty.
That said, some of the Comodo guys can get a little too
passonate.
Sometimes you just want to say: "Remember we are talking about ones and zeros guys,
not your Religion,your family or country."

solcroft

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 07:23:58 AM »
It is but as I said with the AV is Defence + so I don't know if that makes any difference or is that still a weak package to have?
P.S. I know it sounds like I am defending Comodo but I just want the best my my computer I don't care who it is to be honest. Thinking of firewalls what happened to Avast's?

The answer to that is: D+ does NOT protect you. All it does is to hand the job of protecting your computer back to you.

So whether D+ will make any difference depends on you. If you know how to protect your computer, then great. If not, don't bother.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:14 AM »
Detection wise avast! is still miles ahead for now. Leave D+ alone, thats only for users that know stuff and even those can make bad decisions here and there. We'll see how they'll improve new version of CIS as they were promising. Current CIS+Memory Firewall+BOclean+ heavily improved heuristics and signatures.
But until i actually get that thing in my hands i still think avast! is simply better for protection.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

passions

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »
I am now using Avast antivirus plus comodo firewall ;D

You definitely can use CIS&avast at the same time rather than the realtime scanning

But personal PC user don't need to do this!!!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:14 AM »
Sometimes you just want to say: "Remember we are talking about ones and zeros guys,
not your Religion,your family or country."

Actually religion is not much more physical than ones and zeros. Even less if you ask me :P
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Sesame

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 11:22:27 AM »
One of our computers, I use Avast! Home and Comodo firewall with Defense plus.  Although compared with Firewall function, I'm much less confident with the configuration of D+, I don't think it lowers my defense than without it.  I leave basic protection as default and take action when an application asks me to do so.

sded

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 05:00:36 PM »
Hi patrice58:
Took a look at your responses on the other board this morning.  Sometimes it seems like you are dealing with parrots (budgies in the UK?) rather than getting answers to your questions. 
As Solcroft posted, D+ is really only effective if you know how to recognize that the behavior of an application is anomalous-and perhaps many of the D+ users overestimate their ability to do that with the tools D+ supplies.  Especially with the tricks in names and behavior that malware can use.  Thus the rise of behavior blockers that try to automate some of that for you.  But if the release of the new CIS really happens this week, users can start to understand what is really there if they can pierce the rhetoric of the fans and get some objective evaluations.  In the meantime, Avast! can provide proven additional protection.  As others have pointed out, there can be some difficulty dealing with a cult dedicated to computer programs ???.  Good luck; Ed.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 07:27:46 PM by sded »

Sesame

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 05:25:06 PM »
Hi patrice58,
Took a look at your responses on the other board this morning.  Sometimes it seems like you are dealing with parrots (budgies in the UK?) rather than getting answers to your questions.  As Solcroft posted, D+ is really only effective if you know how to recognize that the behavior of an application is anomalous-and perhaps many of the D+ users overestimate their ability to do that with the tools D+ supplies.  Especially with the tricks in names and behavior that malware can use.  Thus the rise of behavior blockers that try to automate some of that for you.  But if the release of the new CIS really happens this week, users can start to understand what is really there if they can pierce the rhetoric of the fans and get some objective evaluations.  In the meantime, Avast! can provide proven additional protection.  As others have pointed out, there can be some difficulty dealing with a cult dedicated to computer programs ???.  Good luck; Ed.  :)
Shed, I know you named patrice58 specifically but please keep the discussion open.  I'm bit puzzled here and, to be honest, I haven't got even a slightest idea on your talks of religions and cults or what you may be implying with the rhetoric.

In one of my computers, I use the latest version (3.5.something) of Comodo firewall (means, no anti-virus).  I use defense plus.  It scanned the computer when it was installed and quite many applications were identified through the process.  So, there is not manyt things left for the users.  After that, at times it requires me to take some actions such as if I should allow a certain app to write on the hard disk or registry entry...which doesn't seem to be so complicated to me.  Or am I yet another user who overestimates my ability?  I am asking this question since I am wondering if I am opening a security hole in my system through D+ or not, which is not what I want to do, of course.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:47:54 PM by Rumpel »

solcroft

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 05:39:13 PM »
Shed, I know you named patrice58 specifically but please keep the discussion open.  I'm bit puzzled here and, to be honest, I haven't got even a slightest idea on your talks of religions and cults or what you may be implying with the rhetoric.

I believe sded was referring to the crowd atmosphere at the Comodo forums, where... ah... admiration - or, at least, non-dissent - towards the company are requirements for the privilege of posting there. :P

It's too bad that most of the official staff who patrol the forum are quite militant towards dissension among the ranks. Many of the viruslab staff are nice people, as far as I can tell. ;D

Sesame

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »
Thanx for your reply, solcroft.
Actually, I was wondering if I should visit/register Comodo forum but I changed my mind after reading your comment.  ;D  This is the forum I most frequent and I guess I'm happy here.  ;)

sded

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
The discussions on HIPS (including D+) center around how a user tells whether a request (to write to a disk, for example) for an unknown program should be allowed or not.  There are various approaches to this, including whitelists which show what known programs might do, but it basically up to your knowledge of what programs should be doing on your computer at the current time because of the "zero day" problem.  The fact that there are often lots of things going on in the background (like updates, etc.) further complicates the ability to do "situational awareness".  Behavior blockers, for example, attempt to characterize sequences of these activities that might be indicative of malware, rather than depending on you not to hit "allow and remember" and having you do the characterization manually.  And whether a program is known or not can be complicated by names like comodoa.exe or or svchst.exe being used by malware.  Most of the time all of the popups are indeed harmless, which tends to lull the user into a sense of complacency.  And remember that only a small percentage of the users of a security program even frequent forums like this and worries about problems like this, and so there is a large population of soft targets out there if much interaction is required.  An AV (like Avast!) indeed only solves a percentage of the problem, but when it does there is a large "THIS IS A VIRUS, DELETE OR QUARANTINE IT" sign that almost all users will understand, rather than a "c0modo.exe wants to ...".
My comment to Patrice58 was just that when I looked at his reference, there seemed to be one attempt to answer his questions, and several postings that were simply affirmations of faith about the Comodo AV claims for the future.  Maybe there will be more help later?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:25:19 PM by sded »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
Erm I am a "he" not a "she"  :o lol it's a easy mistake to make tho with my username being what it is and all.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:04 PM »
Hi folks in this thread,

I worked avast next to COMODOBoClean for quite some time now, never an issue,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

sded

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »
Sorry Patrice58; should have looked for the symbol instead of just at the name.  I fixed the post and will get it right now.  :)  Regards; Ed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:33:15 PM by sded »