Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187177 times)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 10:34:19 PM »
Ah don't worry I mean there is more in life to worry about...................like Comodo or Avast..........Lol. I'm Leon, BTW how did you become a mod on the forums or was in a case of it's not what you know it's who you know?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:36:42 PM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

sded

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »
I was an early user of CFP3 beta for Vista because I wanted something better than the Vista Firewall that didn't slow down the system a lot like the then current Zone Alarm did.  There were a lot of early CFP3 beta problems in general, some that I could help users with (like with networks and protocols).  I had registered at the Comodo site a couple of years before (tried v2 and didn't like it) so they figured I must be an old timer and fan and asked me to be a mod, since I was spending time helping others anyway.  It helped me to get more familiar with CFP and also using it with Avast!  Not a good fit with their culture, but learned a lot and had some fun until it was time to move along.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:56:01 PM by sded »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »
I understand but what is security centre gonna report if I have C.I.S. (with realtime scanning turned off) and avast running?

Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

sded

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »
If you don't install (or do uninstall) the CIS AV, should be no problem with Avast! being there instead. Security center did work fine with that configuration, so new version should also.  Usually can't install two on-access AVs and just turn one of them off because of conflicts-the lower level drivers get loaded anyway, and you are just turning off their use.  Will the latest CIS AV install in an on-demand mode so there is no conflict?  If not, then the use of things like SAS and MBAM mentioned in the Comodo thread are excellent (free) offline alternatives.  And a good thing to run weekly or so anyway.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:58:30 AM by sded »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 12:48:14 AM »
I have some if not all of the on demand scanner tool things (check my sig) as for comodo no it won't the only way is to load it and then turn off the real time scanning of C.I.S and use another AV for your real time needs.

sded

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 01:23:21 AM »
OK; looks like you are familiar with using them then.  I do SAS weekly, sometimes MBAM also.  When you install the new CIS, just don't select installing the AV, and Security Center should work fine and show Avast! for antivirus and Comodo for firewall-at least it did on earlier CIS versions.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 01:43:30 AM »
Yeah it will do in another life I did use Avast with Comodo (win xp) so I can have one or the other but not both...............(tut!)

Sesame

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 04:32:58 AM »
sded, thank you for your explanation.  I am enough to be around here to know that you are knowledgeable.

I find Defense Plus is more user friendly than System Security Monitor, if less configurable, but both has the same problem - there is always possibility that the users may allow malware to do their "jobs".  The same thing can be said about firewall.  That said, personally, I think Comodo did a decent job in balancing accessibility and configurability with their 3.5 version.  I think one of the important parts of security applications is that they should desirably let the users learn how their computer works normally and let them alerted when something is "different."

BTW, even polonus recommends Comodo BoClean?  I'm happy with CCleaner but more security focused one may not be a bad addition...hmm... 

As for "sex" issue, I often use "he/she" when I'm unsure but, in English, it is much less problematic than in more "sexist" languages.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:43:46 AM by Rumpel »

sded

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 04:54:02 AM »
I haven't used BOClean, but others think well of it as a real time anti-malware.  I don't have any problems with D+ either, just for some of the claims for it as I tried to summarize.  I used it for a year with no real problems except for things like logging-it is pretty opaque in what it does sometimes.  There also seem to be some hidden rules that don't show up anywhere.  Another idea you might find interesting is Prevx Edge at http://www.prevx.com/prevxedge.asp.  It does things like use an online whitelist/blacklist as a behavior analysis tool along with behavioral heuristics to try to alert to what might be a problem for you with a very short lag time.  See http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=230168 for a current discussion.  Runs fine with Avast!, but I had some other issues that I couldn't sort out, so will try the next release again.  I also use CCleaner, although it is really a junk remover that in addition does a modest registry clean for obvious stuff.  But there are a lot of experts who say that registry cleaners are now snake oil, and polls at places like Broadband Reports http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,21710608~viewpoll=1#poll21710608 show that CCleaner is by far the most popular with experienced users.  Lots of interesting stuff happening in the security world this year.  :)  And most of it seems to run fine with Avast!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:03:07 PM by sded »

normishmael

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »
Sometimes you just want to say: "Remember we are talking about ones and zeros guys,
not your Religion,your family or country."

Actually religion is not much more physical than ones and zeros. Even less if you ask me :P

No offence intended RejZoR.
For some of us Religion is a source of strength and hope in our lives.
For others,it becomes like nationalism,an excuse to close our mind
to "outsiders"
We are OK on defending our family with some zeal,right?

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 01:54:36 AM »
I will give the comodo team a chance to impress me (with their "new" build) when it is out of beta but if it does not then hay I still know where I can get a top of the range AV from...................

Sesame

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 02:47:54 AM »
I don't have any problems with D+ either, just for some of the claims for it as I tried to summarize.  I used it for a year with no real problems except for things like logging-it is pretty opaque in what it does sometimes.  There also seem to be some hidden rules that don't show up anywhere.
Now you mentioned logging...I'm unhappy with logging of both Comodo firewall/D+.  I miss detailed logs of old Kerio and Jetico.  Also, I'd like to have an ability to make rules from logs...relying on real-time judgment is not wise.  This is related with the learning process I mentioned above in letting the users examine what happened and allowing them to deal with them better.  Some firewalls have "learning mode" but it's the firewall who/what is learning - not its user.  I think Avast forum is good place for the users to educate each other and that this is one of the better asset/strength of Alwil.  I hope Avast! 5 will be designed to make full use of this asset.  Even if detailed logging may not help an inexperienced user directly, sharing the info at the forum may help him/her, for example.

I will give the comodo team a chance to impress me (with their "new" build) when it is out of beta but if it does not then hay I still know where I can get a top of the range AV from...................
You can give Alwil team a chance to impress you when Avast! 5 is out, too.  ;)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 03:01:12 AM »
Oh don't worry about that I will be here watching and waiting for it...........  ;D

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 03:03:55 AM »
What's wrong with Comodo's logging? (firewall or and Defence +) (plus.)

sded

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 03:05:43 AM »
I also used Kerio and Jetico, along with several others, to learn about firewalls, and thought Sygate actually had the most useful logging.  I can't understand why Comodo thinks that their power users don't want to use the firewall log as a problem solver, but that's the way it is.  Lots of requests by users have gone nowhere.  I also have a problem with their use of SPI on the firewall, which is undocumented and doesn't do the most classical advantage SPI-passive FTP so you don't need to allow all of the high order outbound ports to use it.  But they are no longer my problem.   Much of the Comodo forum has morphed into a social networking exercise, and you get answers that don't help you.  Or just cheerleading.  But there are still some good sources there.  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:30:58 PM by sded »