Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187885 times)

sded

Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2009, 06:37:41 PM »
A lot of potential upgraders seem to be taking a "wait and see" at this point because of the extent of the new beta, and the more heavily involved are beta testing it as expected.  No idea of their future beta schedule.  But a bit more maturity in the betas might avoid some of the messages they get like http://forums.comodo.com/forum_policy_violation_board/this_is_why_the_world_needs_comodo-t29645.0.html  (banned, removed, heavily censored, but still publicly available for some reason.  And funny!  :) )

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2009, 07:25:16 PM »
There is no way that thing is going on my PC I'll let the other "smart" people test it. Lol @ forum post with rude words removed by mods.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:12:37 PM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
Hi Guys,

We have just released COMODO Internet Security 3.5.61373.458 BETA.

Whats new in 3.5.61373.458 BETA?
--------------------------------------------------

NEW! Threatcast integration: COMODOs community based alerts reply statistics reintroduced
NEW! Native Vista Firewall: New COMODO Network Stack based firewall engine using new vista technologies(dramatic performance improvements)
NEW! Native Vista HIPS: New Vista HIPS compatible with Vista PatchGuard. Now Defense+ introduces kernel level protection in Vista SP1 X64 or later
NEW! COMODO Memory Firewall integration: CIS now includes builtin system wide buffer overflow protection
NEW! AV Heuristics: The AV engine now includes heuristics scanning capable of detecting unknown viruses generically
IMPROVED! Trusted software vendor list is expanded, capable of detecting thousands of applications generically without any signatures
IMPROVED! Revised AV engine: AV engine scanning and updating speed increased significantly

Known Issues:
-----------------------
* First boot after the installation might sometimes take longer than expected: This issue is being investigated
* The virus database in this version is a test database and is therefore different from the virus DB of the released version. This means detection rates are different

This is a BETA software and is NOT intended for the end users. Never install this version on a production PC. 

Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »
Never install this version on a production PC = I am using a production PC as is maybe 90 per cent of home users so what's the point?

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »
Yesterday I installed the Beta; had to do a couple of reboots, then set up things again (as I had to let the installer uninstall the previous version).
Did a scan, set D+ to Clean PC for a while, then Safe Mode.

Most important: turned off Real Time Protection in the AV. Even if the AV part of CIS gets up to the level of other AVs I prefer Avast's shields.

So far they are working well together (once Avast was set to ignore the 2 instances of heur.cav).
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »
The things I miss apart from the extra sigs that Avast has is the little blue spinning ball.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:01:32 PM by patrice58 »

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:49 PM »
After 8 cans of Carlsberg Export I seem to have 2 of them.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2009, 11:48:16 PM »
Lol let the good times roll..........................

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
Which is normal unless you have merged the 'i' and 'a' icons ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2009, 12:48:34 AM »
No as in my case (when I had avast) the show hidden icon used to hide the I
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:09:36 AM by patrice58 »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2009, 04:37:36 AM »
With the permission of Melih...

Total Signatures: 1,013,164   1,027,031 (edited by Melih...sorry the guys are working extra this weekend!!!  )
Total Whitelisted Files: 1,107,514  (Currently in the CIS beta)

Remember the signatures include genetic signatures (1 signature could mean 5 different variants, or 100), And when the heuristics is final this will be a much bigger number too... Comodo will continue to create more signatures. It's getting there VERY fast, And with all the amazing users sending Comodo samples.. Plus the heuristics, Comodo will simply suppress the competition in around September (When Melih promised he will deliver one of the best, if not he best AV).

This number will grow by 4,000 signatures a day and more.

You don't have any AV Tests for CIS...
You don't know how good it is from AV-Comparativies.com...
You don't know how good it is from VB100...
You don't know how good it is from any other AV Testing organization...

But you have Melih's word. 

Well done Comodo!!! 
That was a cut a paste of the comodo website and that was posted yesterday.........In such a short space in time that's not too bad at all. Lol @ you have Melih's word. When you compare it to this http://www.kaspersky.com/avupdates they have come a long way still have loads more to do of course.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 04:43:21 AM by patrice58 »

sded

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2009, 04:50:12 AM »
LOL.  I guess I just don't know how to deal with faith based security.  :)  But I hope they don't "suppress the competition" too violently.  ;)  Especially with their expressed goal of making the internet safe for everyone.  Most of them probably mean well, in spite of it all.  And they obviously have put in a lot of effort, so we'll see what happens,  In the meantime I'll stick with Avast! and look to see what happens with Avast! 5, which should be out before October when CIS AV is advertised to be complete.  And continue to see what is happening with other (non Comodo) products that seem to offer "best of breed" potential for enhanced security.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:42:58 AM by sded »

Sesame

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2009, 05:33:17 AM »
As far as logging, CIS does selective logging-in spite of what you might choose, they actually do the selection.  SPI controlled features can't be blocked or logged at all, for example.  D+ has no way to log allowed events.  If you want to log everything, CIS won't do it.  For a simple exercise, try to log all allowed input or all output as a global rule.  Or go to GRC at http://www.grc.com/intro.htm and do a port scan and try to log all the results.  You will need to bypass your router to do that one, since NAT will block it otherwise.  Check the new version to see if there has been an upgrade; haven't used it in a few months-If they have fixed it and just not told anyone, good on them anyway.  I ran experiments to support disgruntled users on how to log things to solve their problems, and admit failure-but that was last year, so ???  You might still be able to do a search under "logging" for some of the threads and possibly add my user ID for some of the specific experiments.
I tried to check with grc.com but, since our home network has layered packet-based protections, it would take time to get through all of them to the PC, turning off an ISP service, setting the PC to a server in DMZ and turning off all the firewall rules on the router toward the PC.  So, I checked it on a public LAN when I'm out, but I ended up with testing the local firewall.  :(  What I can say is that I didn't find any strange connection with CurrPorts when I was on the public LAN.  I use OpenDNS for domain name servers, though.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2009, 05:38:11 AM »
alot of fp's with cis beta,i tried and got alot when downloading from well know sites and when using sandboxie.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2009, 05:50:54 AM »
A lot of potential upgraders seem to be taking a "wait and see" at this point because of the extent of the new beta, and the more heavily involved are beta testing it as expected.  No idea of their future beta schedule.  But a bit more maturity in the betas might avoid some of the messages they get like http://forums.comodo.com/forum_policy_violation_board/this_is_why_the_world_needs_comodo-t29645.0.html  (banned, removed, heavily censored, but still publicly available for some reason.  And funny!  :) )

...and 'solcroft', is that you I see "stirring the pot" there too? :o http://forums.comodo.com/forum_policy_violation_board-b111.0/ They must know that you are right-now reverse engineering their superior product from behind the Bamboo Curtain   ;D ;D

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25