Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187751 times)

gery

Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2009, 10:12:25 PM »
Comodo AV is pretty new and unstable. It never found nothing but Avast found more then one virus and a one rootkit

Mr.Agent

« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »
i agree i had a rootkit-gen yesterday and its deleted it

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12:46 PM »
Oh don't worry about that I will be here watching and waiting for it.......... .
Yep that was my quote and what of it?
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2009, 02:26:51 PM »
Giraffe, disable is not enough, sooner or later you'll have trouble with two antivirus at the same time.
I suggest you uninstall the AV part of Comodo.

Not that easy to get rid of 1 part of CIS; only removing CIS then re-installing without the AV would do that.
I haven't seen any sign of CAVS running whilst disabled.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

YoKenny

« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »
I put Comodo in the same league as Norton or McAfee.

They will never occupy one byte of data on my hard drives

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »
I put Comodo in the same league as Norton or McAfee.
Well, it's a freeware. Nothing more distant than Norton and McAfee...
It could have problems, but it is not a brother of that ones, imho.
The best things in life are free.

normishmael

« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
The recent Wilder's Firewall poll is of some interest.
As of now,Online Armor is ahead of Comodo.
This was reversed in the past.
It is clear that Online Armor has really grown,(latest Beta pretty well flawless,and the first to remove my slow reboot),so that maybe is the biggest thing.
At the same time i feel some of it has to do with the perception that Comodo
has largely blown off development on the firewall,and any other free standing application,in their stones to the walls push for CIS.
Pulling the Borg on their memory firewall,and BOClean has caused confusion in the outer court of the temple as well.
It seems the next act of "The Abdulhayoglu Medicine Show",will have one pampered
Principal dancer: The Diva Lady CIS..

casualgamer

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »
Well to be fair avast has been around for a while and had more time to improve and whats not. The comodo antivirus is like the new kid on the block. Probally if it was around for the same amount of time they would be around the same level i dunno but kinda not fair to bash it until it has time to rectify itself. I use avast with their FW for the time being tho

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2009, 10:53:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

We have just released 3.8.65951.477 which addresses a couple of critical issues reported by the users last week.

What's new in this release?
---------------------------
FIXED! Applications do not run when CIS is installed in Vista 64
FIXED! BSOD in Windows XP 64 when NWLink protocol is installed
FIXED! Defense+ conflicts with certain security applications
FIXED! Firewall does not filter traffic on some dialup/adsl adapters
FIXED! AV crashes while scanning certain files
FIXED! AV exclusions do not work

CIS automatic updater is going to download and install the updates for the existing users.

Important Note for Windows Vista Users Upgrading From Older Versions

The Windows Vista users, who have CIS version 3.5.57173.439 or older installed(32 and 64 bit), are going to have 2 updates because of the nature of this release.

* The first update is going to update some critical files that are necessary in order to continue with the second update.
* Then the second update is going to finalize the upgrading process to version 3.8.65951.477

That is from the Comodo site.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:56:47 PM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

normishmael

« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »
Well to be fair avast has been around for a while and had more time to improve and whats not. The comodo antivirus is like the new kid on the block. Probally if it was around for the same amount of time they would be around the same level i dunno but kinda not fair to bash it until it has time to rectify itself. I use avast with their FW for the time being tho

I thank there may be a difference between "bashing" and pointing out Hoakum when it rears its head.
I have no beef with CIS.
It is pretty hard to duke it out with a software.
I do have a problem with the way it is being hawked.
To bundle a hardcore classic HIPs with a firewall,and a third
string AV,throw in a motley crew of sundry esoterica,and call it
"useable security for the mass's" is snake oil.
If Messiah,I mean Melih,is a hero for offering this,than Microsoft has risen to the Albert Schweitzer level with their soon to be free anti-malware suite codenamed Morro.

sded

« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »
Melihgalomania perhaps?  ;)  A glance at their site shows some tough and sometimes contentious discussions going on, although sometimes end up like http://forums.comodo.com/forum_policy_violation_board/bad_review_by_pcmagcom-t35628.0.html;msg253838#new .  The thread it came from included comments by fans who had obviously never read the referenced article and the dismissive responses seemed to infuriate the OP.  Several threads like that lately among their various users could have used more adult supervision to strike a conciliatory note with the concerned users.  Contrast the tone of their site to that here at Avast!, for example.  I had no problem deciding which AV I would rather deal with.  :)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2009, 12:58:31 AM »
Well you can't say they are not trying to improve as you can see here http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/release_notes.html they have never changed this much so fast since well ever I mean 3 updates in a month is madness. Their AV is still erm ropey to put it nicely.

sded

« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2009, 01:09:21 AM »
I have always been amazed that they don't do closed beta testing or apparently much regression testing of these major upgrades.  Or have a formal bug tracking system-Bugzilla was tried and abandoned, and user request threads have apparently been ignored.  They do seem to be providing more developer interaction though, which is a good sign.  But it is their company, and they can certainly do business however they and their users can tolerate.  Don't really think they just give their developers a Visual C# manual and a multi-lingual dictionary and tell them to go code whatever the boss tells them, but don't have any knowledge beyond that.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2009, 01:21:53 AM »
Well the only saving grace it has is..................................It's new so it needs time to impress or depress whatever happens first.

sded

« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2009, 01:36:43 AM »
Good luck to them: they have a lot of users and a lot of chutzpah, as well as product and potential, and a long way to go.  But would never use their AV-I just don't trust them. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:19:27 PM by sded »