Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187743 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »
Well you can't say they are not trying to improve as you can see here http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/release_notes.html they have never changed this much so fast since well ever I mean 3 updates in a month is madness. Their AV is still erm ropey to put it nicely.

Thats because their beta testing is crap. They haven't fixed anything i've reported. They even haven't fixed things that their staff assured it'll end up in new upate. They also don't update beta often during testing to verify if bugs are fixed. So i stopped participating in their beta test. Why should i bother when they obviously don't even care.

Here with avast!, ALWIL team fixed everything i've ever reported in matter of hours and released new beta almost right away to check if everything is ok with that fix. After all major problems are correctly solved, they release the actual public final version. Hell, once we even tested something with vlk on sunday!
Thats what i call serious and professional work.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »
Comodo is a good team, try to do its best...
But I've gave up... too many hours spent trying to stabilize the computer.
Beta test, never more for them...
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »

sorry guys, just trying to find out what those last posts are about; beta testing is closed, 3.8 is out, I've used it for a few days now and it's perfectly stable, on my PC, and in Win7. It seems some people posting here use to be very active Comodo forums members...I haven't been around on the forum (Comodo) during that last beta testing phase, but I've been in the past, and quite frankly enjoyed it. Beta is beta, expect bugs etc...well you know the story, nothing unusual...But again, how could a supposedly so unstable beta that was available still a few weeks ago turn out to become such a stable release, and I'm using it on an OS that is not supported, NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

I've been an Avast user for a while as well, I use both programs (not the AV component of CIS obviously): just the title of that thread doesn't make any sense: Avast vs CIS  ??? ??? ??? CIS does things that Avast doesn't and vice versa. FYI, I've been and still am a big supporter of Avast WebShield, and made it clear more than once @ Comodo, as well as I'll make clear here and now that CIS (again, not the AV part  ;D) is a bloody amazing Firewall/HIPS, and STABLE, for the release version.

edit:I can understand some kind of (moderate) flaming between online armor users and CIS users, but not between Avast and Comodo  ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:15:00 AM by Logos »

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »
I updated to the latest version of CIS (I don't run the AV - prefer Avast!) and there was only 1 problem: I exported my configurations and, from Comodo's forums, had learned that it's best to import the Configs. via 'Import as' and don't import the one for which the profile is currently active and what did CIS do? - damned well updated and kept all my Configs!
Since then it's been running with no problems at all - killjoys!
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »

sorry guys, just trying to find out what those last posts are about; beta testing is closed, 3.8 is out, I've used it for a few days now and it's perfectly stable, on my PC, and in Win7. It seems some people posting here use to be very active Comodo forums members...I haven't been around on the forum (Comodo) during that last beta testing phase, but I've been in the past, and quite frankly enjoyed it. Beta is beta, expect bugs etc...well you know the story, nothing unusual...But again, how could a supposedly so unstable beta that was available still a few weeks ago turn out to become such a stable release, and I'm using it on an OS that is not supported, NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

I've been an Avast user for a while as well, I use both programs (not the AV component of CIS obviously): just the title of that thread doesn't make any sense: Avast vs CIS  ??? ??? ??? CIS does things that Avast doesn't and vice versa. FYI, I've been and still am a big supporter of Avast WebShield, and made it clear more than once @ Comodo, as well as I'll make clear here and now that CIS (again, not the AV part  ;D) is a bloody amazing Firewall/HIPS, and STABLE, for the release version.

edit:I can understand some kind of (moderate) flaming between online armor users and CIS users, but not between Avast and Comodo  ;)
It makes perfect sense even if I do say so myself CIS has a anti virus component and Avast is a AV. So I or we are talking about both AVs and how they differ and how they are the same. If you don't have the AV part of CIS then what you really have is the Comodo firwall not CIS really.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:58:04 PM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »
I can understand some kind of (moderate) flaming between online armor users and CIS users, but not between Avast and Comodo  ;)
The problem is that Comodo, from time to time, brings trouble with avast, with Windows Updates, with connection...

Hermite15

« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2009, 07:58:17 PM »

It makes perfect sense if I do say say myself CIS has a anti virus component and Avast is a AV. So I or we are talking about both AV and how they differ and how they are the same. If you don't have the AV part of CIS then what you really have is the comodo firwall not CIS really.

You must be kidding, forgot the HIPS (aka Def+)...the AV component was added lately. It's extremely minor in the suite, and Comodo always acknowledged their AV couldn't match stuff like AVG etc...for now (and I don't believe it ever will honestly). If you want to compare CIS to anything, compare it to Online Armor for instance, but not to an Antivirus for Christ's sake, it doesn't make any blody sense.For me Comodo AV solutions are not really existent and don't deserve a topic  ;)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »
Really that is news to me! Thanks for letting me know, I wonder what causes this?
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Hermite15

« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2009, 08:02:05 PM »
The problem is that Comodo, from time to time, brings trouble with avast, with Windows Updates, with connection...

I've had this during beta testing phases f CFP2 and 3, could solve WinUpdate issues by myself (settings for a couple of *.exe). As to Avast, I never had any conflict between the two.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
As to Avast, I never had any conflict between the two.
But it conflict with WebShield of avast more than once...

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2009, 08:06:27 PM »
So what you are saying is don't compare it to other AV's because it is not a AV. Well who says it is not a AV? *Checks CIS.* Yep it sure looks and scans like a AV to me and has heuristics like most other AV's so after all that what should it be called then?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:14:52 PM by patrice58 »

Hermite15

« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2009, 08:07:13 PM »
As to Avast, I never had any conflict between the two.
But it conflict with WebShield of avast more than once...

well not on my PCs...

Hermite15

« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2009, 08:08:13 PM »
I was not talking about Defence + so you telling me not to talk about it is a bit weird to say the least anyway so what you are saying is don't compare it to other AV's because it is not a AV. Well who says it is not a AV? *Checks CIS.* Yep it sure looks and scans like a AV to me and has heuristics like most other AV's so after all that what should it be called then?

never mind  ;D

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2009, 08:09:44 PM »
Nor on my PC when I had Comodo 2.4 and early 3.1 while using Avast.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »
I was not talking about Defence + so you telling me not to talk about it is a bit weird to say the least anyway so what you are saying is don't compare it to other AV's because it is not a AV. Well who says it is not a AV? *Checks CIS.* Yep it sure looks and scans like a AV to me and has heuristics like most other AV's so after all that what should it be called then?

never mind  ;D
Hmmmmm ok. B.T.W. I am not a Comodo fanboy but for you to say it's not a AV is well................ Different. You are right in one thing the AV is so poor (and full of FP's) that it is almost useless.