Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187792 times)

sded

Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2009, 11:10:52 PM »
If you want to join the troll fun, go over to the Comodo website, register as a newbie (Comodo doesn't even validate email addresses), and post that CIS is only for fools who fornicate with goats.  ;)  Otherwise try to be civil about the whole thing-it is all only computer programs, afterall.  There are lots of good AV products out there, and someday Comodo hopes to be one of them.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:17:44 PM by sded »

ronnycopeh

« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
why so hostile

sded

« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2009, 11:23:37 PM »
Just a satirical comment about the ridiculousness of posting things like xxx is only for amateurs/ kids or similar remarks that go nowhere.  And taking the trouble to come to another vendors website and register just to do it.  Hope no one takes it seriously.  :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:09:56 AM by sded »

ronnycopeh

« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2009, 11:32:10 PM »
I agree with you totally, if you don't like a product, just don't use it.

sded

« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2009, 11:43:17 PM »
Lots of Comodo users appear happy with the directions the product is going (some do seem to wonder whatever happened to Threatcast); but lots of them still use Avast! with CIS FW/D+, and lots of other combinations by "Comodo users".  Use what combination makes you most comfortable; and when that changes use something else.  :)  Still think there are lots of other good and interesting products out there, most of which are compatible with Avast! if you want to use it as part of a combination.  Or wait to see where Avast! 5 goes compared to Comodo 4 or OA/EMSI or xxx-looks like suites are the new reality.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:59:15 PM by sded »

Jahn

« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2009, 12:25:44 AM »
Actually, I'm pretty impressed with CIS 3.8.

I've used Comodo Firewall on two XP's for nearly three years with great success, and it consistently remains the best rated free firewall at Matousec.

I guess I was a bit shaken with Avast a few months ago when I found out it wasn't working properly (HERE). So I decided to uninstall Avast (only on one system) and install CAV instead. The very first scan with CAV alerted on C:\Windows\mplayerplugin.dll for Unclassified Malware@8381850. A scan at VirusTotal (file re-scanned for this post, notice Avast still doesn't detect it) revealed 21/39 various hits for trojan, adware/spyware, high risk worm, etcetera. To be fair though, the file wasn't detected either by MBAM, SAS, RemoveItPro, Dr. Web CureIt, or Kaspersky AVK. Before someone tells me to submit the file to Avast, I've already tried and none of my email providers (except ISP based) will accept zipped files.

A point of interest: There are very few requests for help to remove malware on the Comodo Forum. The ones I see are all from newbies who have just installed the program and are trying to get rid of pre-existing problems.

I know Comodo isn't for everyone, but it works for me. Heck, any software, especially security software, is a crapshoot anymore.   

Signed: A Comodo Fanboy

P.S. CAV is much lighter on resources than Avast.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2009, 01:15:28 AM »
Comodo is lighter yeah but does he got a better scanner,detection........ than avast ? I didnt think :) Personally my self i would use Avast! because its got alot good scanner and detection rate so if u trust comodo stay with it because i heard alot bad thing about Comodo :) Well i see alot malicious web and virus that comodo didnt detect too each anti virus cant detect all virus of the world its true what i say but like i say Avast! is alway up to date and got a good scanner + detection. Avast! i never had a problem with it and its didnt take mush my ram for a good anti virus product that i trust :)

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:17:23 AM by Mr.Agent »

normishmael

« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2009, 03:00:25 AM »
Jahn said:"I know Comodo isn't for everyone, but it works for me."

Despite signing as a Comodo fanyboy,I thank that is a reasonable statement,
and one I certainly respect.
On the other hand,the maddening,interminable,incestant pop-ups do not work for
me.
I feel that most malware would have far less impact on the enjoyment of my computing experience than defence+ grinding away in my face.

As far as the absence of remove malware requests on Comodo,I feel that is akin to those people who frequent faith healers,and who maintain they are healed and healthy,despite evidence to the contrary.
If you are happy who cares!!
Viva Le Comodo!!
Just not on my machine.

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »
I use both Avast and Comodo; after testing various things, I've never found that Avast slows anything. Even the Web Shield makes no noticeable difference and has proved useful several times.

As for Comodo: the AV is Off; FW is good, tested against several sites; D+ can cause many pop-ups but these diminish as D+ 'learns' and then they're useful when something new occurs.

I've never seen any conflict between Comodo and Avast and I'll be staying with Avast for the foreseeable future as I feel that it is better than Comodo's AV and has more 'strings'.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #234 on: April 25, 2009, 03:45:45 AM »
http://internetsecurity.comodo.com/updates/vdp/database.php nice amount of sigs for a "new" AV don't cha think?
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Hermite15

« Reply #235 on: April 25, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
I think I've already stated it in this thread: anyway, for me CIS and Avast are both great products, period. Only problem I got with CIS is that I've replaced Vista with Seven in a permanent way now, and CIS, which is not optimized for Seven obviously, slows down the browsing to a crawl (in Seven). Too bad they won't at least make a beta for Seven at Comodo. Would be worth since Seven RC is out soon. On the other hand I can understand that they still focus exclusively on Vista, and that there might still be another version of CIS for Vista, which means also a beta in the plan. Guess I'll have to wait until later this year or early next year before I can run CIS again in good conditions.
 This said, Avast runs absolutely fantastic in Seven  ;)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
i didnt say Comodo is bad but i can say their AV is really bad and i think Avast! AV and scan is really great

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
Yes of course but the AV at Comodo was a afterthought as they had D+ which should warn you to any unknown apps or programs which would try to access your system. It's a bit like avira as in you don't really know if it is working unless you get a FP or of course a virus then you get a pop up. With Avast I am still missing the turning "a" ball at least then you can see at a glance that it is working.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Mr.Agent

« Reply #238 on: July 25, 2009, 11:58:38 PM »
Also now heard of their malicious toolbar so its not really great new. No for offense but i will stay with Avast! as its really trusted for me.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2009, 03:12:22 AM »
There is and was nothing malicious about their toolbar and if you don't want it, you just untick the pre ticked box.

3 - What is COMODO HopSurf Toolbar?
COMODO HopSurf is a fully fledged community based web site rating and searching system(www.hopsurf.com). The toolbar brings these features and more to your browser for convenience.
I have to add tho that Comodo and toolbars have not had the greatest relationship. Tho I had the original ask.com comodo toolbar with the built in memory firewall. That soon got put in the bin. Not because there was anything wrong with it but I don't really want ask as a search engine, I already had their memory firewall anyway. So I had two programs that did the same thing from the same company.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:42:31 AM by patrice58 »