Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187771 times)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2009, 04:19:55 AM »
What a troll! If you don't wanna read it then erm I am trying to be polite read something else and go your own way. I was answering somebody else's comment about the hop search toolbar. Before that a comment about the standard of the AV.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Fransb

« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
Go away dude and go listen to Melih then, that says that Comodo AV is Better then Symantec,

I asked him and he said a AV is the last line of defence thats true, but my mom and dad cant use a HIPS that warn them every time a program opens, Defence+ is even worse then the Vista UAC that people dont like.

I dont want to give my mom and dad Defence+ or whatever id rather give them a other Virusscanner that does everything for them.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha he never said that, he commented on their claim that paid AV's is miles better then free ones.As for your mum and dad well you can always turn off defence + but of course you did not think of that.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Hermite15

« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »
it's so pointless to argue about that, again and again, when everyone should understand that Comodo AV is work in progress guys, work in progress. May be it will become a good competitor for Avast, Symantec and the rest one of these days but it's not the case yet, it's far from being the case and they know it at Comodo.
 Just do like I do, if you want CIS, take the firewall and Def+, and leave the AV where it belongs, unchecked in the setup process  ;D

I mean how come that some don't understand that and still want to compare Comodo AV to advanced and confirmed powerful anti-virus products, why the hell do you keep doing that  ???

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
There is and was nothing malicious about their toolbar and if you don't want it, you just untick the pre ticked box.

3 - What is COMODO HopSurf Toolbar?
COMODO HopSurf is a fully fledged community based web site rating and searching system(www.hopsurf.com). The toolbar brings these features and more to your browser for convenience.
I have to add tho that Comodo and toolbars have not had the greatest relationship. Tho I had the original ask.com comodo toolbar with the built in memory firewall. That soon got put in the bin. Not because there was anything wrong with it but I don't really want ask as a search engine, I already had their memory firewall anyway. So I had two programs that did the same thing from the same company.

Comodo Sells Out To HopSurf, Loses Sight Of Priorities: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46737.0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:22:57 PM by .: L' arc :. »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2009, 03:47:20 PM »
Your right the AV is the weakest link in the comodo chain and even then it is quite new in human terms it's still a baby not yet a toddler but I don't agree with your advanced and powerful AV comment as how to judge what is "powerful" and what is not? You can't really judge a AV as what one does not pick up the other one's mostly will.  One way is the amount of sigs they have but that's not fair as loads of sigs does not make a great AV. By malware testing well that is the fairest way but even that has it's problems.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:06:39 PM by patrice58 »

Hermite15

« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »
Your right the AV is the weakest link in the comodo chain and even then it is quite new in human terms it's still a baby not yet a toddler but I don't agree with your advanced and powerful AV comment as how to judge what is "powerful" and what is not? You can't really judge a AV as what one does not pick up the other one's mostly will.  One way is the amount of sigs they have but that's not fair as loads of sigs does not make a great AV. By malware testing well that is the fairest way but even that has it's problems.

if you don't agree with those things I mentioned, how to you manage to figure out that Comodo AV is the weakest link in the Comodo chain  ??? I wasn't talking about virus definitions by the way, but detection methods...how do you choose an AV product ?

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #247 on: July 26, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »
I am saying it is the weakest because it is the youngest. It is there or there about's at the moment and it is getting there quicker then any other AV has done in such a short space of time. I know you was not talking about virus defs but I was covering what makes a AV "powerful" now your asking me how I picked my AV. Well If Comodo was not a suite I would of most likely used Avast and if Avast worked on my system I would of used that, and turned off Comodo's AV and used it as a on demand scanner. The suite at Comodo comes with a firewall and defence + as well as Comodo memory firewall (for buffer overflows) and CBOclean all built in. When Avast 5 comes out I will be the first to give it a run for it's money. As for detection methods I have covered that with this statement. "You can't really judge a AV as what one does not pick up the other one's mostly will." In saying that would I use the AV as a stand alone? No way Jose! With the suite as a whole if gives excellent (I believe) protection. Am I am fanboy? I don't think I am but of course everybody has their own mind and can judge for themselves.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:50:40 AM by patrice58 »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #248 on: July 26, 2009, 06:55:07 PM »
Comodo is lighter yeah but does he got a better scanner,detection........

That is the post of the whole thread as that is one thing we will never know. I will add cleanup to that list.

Fransb

« Reply #249 on: July 28, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha he never said that, he commented on their claim that paid AV's is miles better then free ones.As for your mum and dad well you can always turn off defence + but of course you did not think of that.

Comodo without Defence+ is useless imo,

+ if my mom and dad dont have HIPS, what is there first line of defence???/ Comodo AV????, id rather give them Avast then :P.

+ comodo has potential i admit that but most of the comodo users say its the Best AV ever... but its not :P

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »

Comodo without Defence+ is useless imo,

+ if my mom and dad dont have HIPS, what is there first line of defence???/ Comodo AV????, id rather give them Avast then :P.

+ comodo has potential i admit that but most of the comodo users say its the Best AV ever... but its not :P

C.I.S. without HIPS is just a firewall (which will still pass leak tests B.T.W.) In saying that, your first line of defence would be the firewall.
No one has said the AV is the best ever, come on now!  As for what is the best AV you need to look back at posts number 246 and 248 to see what I am trying to get at, which is there is no number 1 AV as they all have their pros and cons, just stick with the one that you think is best for you. As we all have different tastes as for example looking at tests Avira seems to be 1 of the best av's around so that means I use it right? Wrong I don't like it because it looks like it is not working, which is the same problem I have with Comodo's effort. but I may add with Comodo's AV if you have set up the suite correctly you will get a hips alert then a firewall alert then a AV alert going you loads of chances to save yourself. At least with Avast you see a nice spinning "a" ball. Which at a glance you know it's up and running.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:27:40 PM by patrice58 »

Fransb

« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2009, 12:23:36 PM »
ive never seen a firewall blocking Virusses, i blocks the information thats maybe outgoing to the hacker but it doesnt stop the virus infecting your computer.

it blocks malicous traffic but not if i download virus

but this will be a endless discussion :P, i dont like Comodo AV you do :P.      

imo comodo isnt mature enough for the normal users YET (that will come).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:44:29 PM by Fransb »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
ive never seen a firewall blocking Virusses, i blocks the information thats maybe outgoing to the hacker but it doesnt stop the virus infecting your computer.

it blocks malicous traffic but not if i download virus
Your 100 per cent right but it's better to have a warning then nothing at all.

but this will be a endless discussion :P, i dont like Comodo AV you do :P.      

imo comodo isnt mature enough for the normal users YET (that will come).
I really don't think you have been understanding what I am saying, I did not say I like the Comodo AV if you check just a few posts before this one. I have said I would NOT have the AV as a stand alone product on my computer. What you should of said was I like C.I.S. (the suite) which yes I do. I like it because it offers the best protection for me AT this time. If that changes so will I. You said you don't like Comodo well which part Comodo firewall pro or the AV or the suite which is called Comodo Internet Security? Why don't you like whatever product it is? If it's because of the pop ups, lots of work has been done in that area so now it is almost silent.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:37:01 PM by patrice58 »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #253 on: October 29, 2009, 06:06:43 AM »
For all who wanna see the truth come out about Comodo and believe me this is HOT check this out. http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t46660.0.html;topicseen

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #254 on: October 29, 2009, 07:40:26 AM »
Kevin's side of the story is so bizarre as to be barely believable... were it not for the fact that it ties in so well with the observed CIS issues.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25