Author Topic: Avast icon vanishing  (Read 12118 times)

Kiwi-cass

Re: Avast icon vanishing
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 09:34:43 PM »
Have just checked & have ashdisp.exe  ashMaiSv.exe  ashServ.exe  ash webSv.exe  & aswUpdSv.exe running & the event viewer has Avast showing as enabled.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
Have just checked & have ashdisp.exe running
Even after booting? When it is running, isn't the icon on system tray?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 09:38:40 PM »
woops, thanks DavidR, you explained what I just typed. Ya beat me to it!

You have got to be quick on the avast forums ;D very fast responses round here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »
well sometimes anyway... lol
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »
Don't know what happened but I did post a reply but it's not there.   The events viewer says Avast is enabled but says size 1.7 MB 

The Task Manager has ashDisp.exe,  ashMaiSv.exe,  ashServ.exe,  ashWebSv.exe & aswUpdSv.exe  showing

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
Have just checked & have ashdisp.exe running
Even after booting? When it is running, isn't the icon on system tray?
Kiwi, an answer please...

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 04:05:59 AM »
Sorry did not realize we had gone to another page, but my dial-up time was about to run out anyway.  The only way at the moment to get the icon into the system tray is to hit "unpin" then "pin to start" before I go to turn the computer off then the next time I boot up it's there otherwise no icon.   The icon stays in the tray till I turn the computer off then reboot & if have not done the rigmarole above no icon.   Only way to get the ion is the "pin to start" before I turn the computer off.

I don't use the computer every day so always turn it off.   Never had a problem till the other week.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 06:10:47 AM »
I'm really confused as to why when you pin the icon to your start menu, it runs avast on the next startup.  Pinning items to your start menu just keeps them on the start menu.  It has nothing to do with programs that automatically run on startup.

Again, I feel like avast was somehow removed from the registry, and won't start up automatically anymore, and the easiest way that I can describe to fix that would be to uninstall, and re-install avast.

You could add it manually, but I don't want you to accidentally do the wrong thing and have your computer not boot at all again.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »
The icon stays in the tray till I turn the computer off then reboot & if have not done the rigmarole above no icon.   Only way to get the ion is the "pin to start" before I turn the computer off.
I'm not proper following what do you mean with pin to start.
What are you exactly doing? Describe in details...

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »
Tech, I went to the start menu where avast was still there, right clicked on it & in the menu 1st had to click the "unpin to start"  then " pin to start" then reboot the computer.  Do not know how or why it worked but that was the only way to get the icon into the system tray.

On another forum I was given this link "RajZor's Avast External Control" program actually posted by DavidR on Feb 14th 2005 so downloaded it & hit on the "Tweaker"  & it worked.   Have turned the computer on & off many times since & the icon is still in the system tray & updating.  Don't know if that has fixed it for good but at the moment it is working fine.

Thanks everyone for all your help.  Much appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »
Tech, I went to the start menu where avast was still there, right clicked on it & in the menu 1st had to click the "unpin to start"  then " pin to start" then reboot the computer.  Do not know how or why it worked but that was the only way to get the icon into the system tray.
This action just pin the program in the Start menu, not on the startup entries...
On updates, I think avast start to check if the icon is on system tray and restore the entry. Now we must discover which is removing the entry from the startup entries.

On another forum I was given this link "RajZor's Avast External Control" program actually posted by DavidR on Feb 14th 2005 so downloaded it & hit on the "Tweaker"  & it worked.   Have turned the computer on & off many times since & the icon is still in the system tray & updating.  Don't know if that has fixed it for good but at the moment it is working fine.
RejZor's tool is very good. Not so sure all the features continue to be working with the latest avast versions.