Author Topic: Report file (SOLVED) Switched over to Avast/ZA free discussion  (Read 6829 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Report file (SOLVED) Switched over to Avast/ZA free discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »
I too disable system restore on all my systems as soon as possible because I don't trust it.
It saved my life more than once...
The best things in life are free.

hlecter

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »
I too disable system restore on all my systems as soon as possible because I don't trust it.
It saved my life more than once...

It messed up my system one time too much so long time ago that I don't remember the details.
The problem with System Restore is that something gets restored and something not.
This may give inconcistences.

The probability of this increases with time and what has been done in the meantime.

What saves me is Norton Ghost images of whole partition.

But my main point is how good the combo ZA free and Avast has worked for me.

HL

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
The problem with system restore is that it simply isn't reliable enough and frequently there are unforeseen consequences if it does work, but many times for what ever reason it doesn't work, broken restore points, etc. and for me that just isn't good enough, so I went for disk imaging for my replacement of system restore.

Another issue is that many people think it is much more than it is (the name doesn't help), it isn't a back-up application as many think.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 01:44:57 AM »
It messed up my system one time too much so long time ago that I don't remember the details.
The problem with System Restore is that something gets restored and something not.
This may give inconcistences.
I agree.

The problem with system restore is that it simply isn't reliable enough and frequently there are unforeseen consequences if it does work, but many times for what ever reason it doesn't work, broken restore points, etc. and for me that just isn't good enough, so I went for disk imaging for my replacement of system restore.

Another issue is that many people think it is much more than it is (the name doesn't help), it isn't a back-up application as many think.
I agree too.

Just that System Restore is not as bad as you're saying... it could work and help. It does not substitute the full backups but it can help on software and drivers installations.
The best things in life are free.

hlecter

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 02:05:38 AM »
We seem to agree all of us that 'MS System Restore' is not a substitute for a full backup,
e.g. a full image of one or more partitions.

I have restored images a lot of times with good luck.

HL