Author Topic: XP Cannot Login!  (Read 9940 times)

sneaker98

Re: XP Cannot Login!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »
I can indeed try that - hopefully windows will accept my cd key again.

Absolutely, all I did was validate the new XP, install the network and video card drivers, and install Avast.

I thought it was a virus when it happened the first time, hoped getting userinit.exe from another xp install would fix it. But that didn't work.

ardvark

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Also if we were going under your notion there would be many things I could not say or do as we would have to take all perceptions into account. I find this a bit unfair. People should not have to type with fear that anything they say could be deemed offensive. The awesome thing about an internet forum is that we all get to state our peace, we also do not have to click a thread if we do not like it:) God bless:) 

Hi...

I was referring to Jesus whom you are correct in saying is Omnipotent, He is everywhere and can anything He chooses to do, hence my term "Someone." :)

I disagree with your conclusion that requesting someone not to swear in His name (or any other kind of swearing) on the forum is creating a climate of fear. It's a matter of respect for others and reverence for Him. That isn't too much to ask for. ::)

@alanrf: Your decision to go to a moderator will not affect any decision of mine in the future. I did not intend to start a "religious discussion" but to request that a poster refrain from posting a phrase that I, and many others, find offensive. I will continue to do so in the future as the need warrants.

@Tarq: I don't understand your point. What difference does not helping at this particular thread make. I am a member of this forum community and help on any thread I can. That counts too.  ???

@sneaker98: Your excused, however, as I've told others, please no swearing in the forums. :)

May God Bless all of you!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:23:27 PM by ardvark »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 07:08:34 AM »
Aside from all the religious discussion... did you ever get this fixed? I'm sort of interested in what was causing it, and what was needed to remedy the situation.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

sneaker98

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 07:31:25 AM »
Aside from all the religious discussion... did you ever get this fixed? I'm sort of interested in what was causing it, and what was needed to remedy the situation.
Not yet - I'm about to reformat the new XP partition, install SP3, and then install Avast. I should be posting again in an hour or two, and I'll let you folks know the result.

I'm doubtful that it will work, since I did have SP3 when the problem started originally on the old XP partition, but it's worth a shot.

sneaker98

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 02:11:11 PM »
Alright, folks, I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that I am on a fresh install of XP SP3, with Avast running just fine.

The bad news? I don't know what happened those two times previously to cause such an irreparable login loop. Oh well. My advice to anyone is to fully update your Windows XP install before installing Avast, just as a precaution.

As an aside, this was probably the longest install of XP I've ever done. XP, for whatever reason, didn't want to set itself up on a C: drive, but instead an H: or I: drive - I don't know about the rest of you, but it drives me nuts if XP isn't on C:. So I spent a couple hours going through the registry and changing every reference of I:\* (mostly using a 3rd party registry editor with Find & Replace capabilities, but some I had to do by hand). After making the changes, I did a cold shutdown of the computer, and booted it up - and voila, C:\Windows.

Anyone who ever told you that you can't change your boot drive's letter after install was wrong ;) But it is, however, a pain in the butt.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »
Yeah, the drive letter thing is a BIG pain! Sorry you had to go through that.  Drives me nuts when that happens.  I usually try to put a USB drive or something in the computer when going through windows setup when it does that.  Sometimes it causes it to re-order the drive letters and you can get everything back to normal.

Well, you couldn't tell us what was wrong, but as long as you're fixed up, we're happy.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

H.Seldon

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
Hi sneaker98,

Is the system logging you out, or is it rebooting?

sneaker98

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 10:55:36 PM »
Hi sneaker98,

Is the system logging you out, or is it rebooting?

It was logging me out - I would enter my username and password and start logging in, it would start loading, then immediately the desktop background would turn grey and it would say it was logging me out. Sometimes there was a delay, sometimes it was immediate, but it would always dump me back to the Login screen.

But, like I said, a full reinstall of XP, plus a complete update before installing Avast seemed to remedy this.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 11:47:01 PM »
Well, I admit I really don't know why. It seemed logical and yet illogical to suggest it, without reason. But I'm glad it worked.
Sometimes instinct helps.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.