Author Topic: Problems with scanning zip files  (Read 4327 times)

dieeine

Problems with scanning zip files
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Hello!

We are testing avast! 4 Server on Win32.

He is scanning zip files when I start the scan manual but he doesn`t scan automatically zip files!

Which configuration should I change?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Problems with scanning zip files
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:55:38 AM »
What exactly does it mean "automatically"? I mean, at what situation are you trying to detect them?
Unpacking archives e.g. from Standard Shied, when read from disk, can be enabled - but it's not a good idea.

dieeine

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »
We would like to install avast! on our fileserver.

So it is important to scan zip files e.g. people can send this files per email or copy on whose pc`s.

We have copy a virus (zip) to a share und avast! didn’t found a virus in this zip.

If the zip is unpacked avast! has found the virus.

Our Standard Shield configuration:

Scanner (Basic): Scan dynamic libraries on load
Scanner (Advanced): Scan files on open (always scan WSH-scrip files, Do not scan system libraries), Scan created/modified files (all files)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »
You'd have to do two things:
1. Make Standard Shield scan the ZIP files; if you already have "all created/modified files" set to be scanned, that should be OK. Alternatively, you could put the "ZIP" into the list of extensions to be scanned "on open", but that would probably have even worse impact.
2. Make Standard Shield unpack the ZIP files. To do that, open the Enhanced User Interface, go to Tasks folder, select the Resident protection task, go to its properties, scroll to the Standard Shield provider and on its "Packers" page, check the ZIP format.

However, you should be aware of the fact that it may impose quite a significant load on the system. If somebody writes a big archive on the disk (and it could be anywhere, not just on the share - and it doesn't have to be pure ZIP, but also e.g. a big self-extracting ZIP installer), Standard Shield starts to unpack and scan the file - which may be a lot of data, i.e. take quite a while (at high CPU usage).

dieeine

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »
Thanks! It works. :)

At the infected files I only see the path from the original location. I also would like to log who has edit the file. Can I see this?