Author Topic: Anyone with lock up problems under Windows XP  (Read 9638 times)

RJARRRPCGP

Anyone with lock up problems under Windows XP
« on: April 28, 2004, 05:48:10 PM »
Anyone that has had lock up side effect symptoms when using Avast under Windows XP please reply here:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 05:52:01 PM by RJARRRPCGP »

CoJo

Re:Anyone with lock up problems under Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 08:04:35 PM »
Anyone that has had lock up side effect symptoms when using Avast under Windows XP please reply here:

hello!
can you be a bit more specific about "side effect symptoms?" what exactly do you mean?

folks here are ready to help...

cojo

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 05:51:17 AM »

hello!
can you be a bit more specific about "side effect symptoms?" what exactly do you mean?

folks here are ready to help...

cojo

After Avast is installed, Windows XP Explorer locks up and even Task Manager will fail to respond. I also had Windows XP lock up on me, thus requiring to push the reset button on my PC after changing a skin. Because of the lock up, I'm repeatedly required to push the reset button on my PC and thus risk HDD data corruption by Windows not flushing the disk cache. It's strange that there arn't any error messages. Usually, Windows XP and Windows 2000 won't crash without an error message, that is just freeze, unlike Windows 95 and Windows 98, which often just freezes with no error messages when there is an application conflict. Windows XP and Windows 2000 usually will spew out error messages, even with a minor problem.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 06:03:53 AM by RJARRRPCGP »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 09:42:41 AM »
What are your exact settings of the resident protection, specifically the Standard Shield provider?
Do I understand correctly that your PC locks up when you change skin of the avast! Simple User Interface?

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 03:27:28 AM »
What are your exact settings of the resident protection, specifically the Standard Shield provider?
Do I understand correctly that your PC locks up when you change skin of the avast! Simple User Interface?

The default settings, with the exception I changed the skin. Also, one day, unfortunately, Avast caused Windows XP to lock up even when I didn't change anything, including the skin. One day, Windows XP locked up on me just after installing Avast, even when I  reformatted the HDD, reinstalled Windows XP and didn't change any skin. I doubt my hardware is faulty, because the above symptom never occurs when Avast isn't installed. I made sure to reboot Windows XP after installing Avast.

BTW, the Windows XP kernel itself may have not crashed, when I get the above symptom, but I loose control of my PC, because even Task Manager will fail to respond and thus I'm required to push the reset button on my PC.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 03:38:23 AM by RJARRRPCGP »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 04:49:56 AM »
Did you installed another antivirus in your system?
If so, did you removed it completely (even trash left behind in the Windows Registry)?

P.S.: Cojo, your signature is the whole truth  8)
The best things in life are free.

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 05:03:20 AM »
I have never installed other anti-virus software before installing Avast. Also, the symptom still will occur with a from-scratch Windows XP installation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 05:03:55 AM by RJARRRPCGP »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 08:18:43 AM »
Couldn't the freezes be correlated to virus database updates? I.e. the crash occuring just after a virus db update takes place...?

BTW could you please compress your signature a bit? Your posts are difficult to read because your signature is taking half the size of the screen...

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 08:20:02 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 02:50:08 PM »
If you used either , or : or ; instead of several blank lines between each item listed in your system description, it would still be clear but wouldn't take up a whole page.
If we all used that much space for signatures, there wouldn't be any room for advice.
It's the questions and advice that are important not the signature even though system detail helps in resolving some of the problems that are discussed.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 04:42:09 AM »
And the one thing he really needs in his signature is missing ... the OS of his computer!    :)  

Yeah ... I know ... I have no signature.    ;D  

« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 04:44:46 AM by CharleyO »

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 07:28:15 AM »
And the one thing he really needs in his signature is missing ... the OS of his computer!    :)  

Yeah ... I know ... I have no signature.    ;D  

Whoops. I didn't put the OS in the signature, because I thought I didn't have enough room.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 07:30:36 AM by RJARRRPCGP »

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 08:09:51 PM »
Update:

With the latest build of Avast, Windows XP hasn't been locking up lately.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »
Update:

With the latest build of Avast, Windows XP hasn't been locking up lately.

Glad to hear this  :)

loud1234

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 03:19:23 PM »
I am running windows XP Pro on a 3Ghz P4 with an Asus P4R800-VM motherboard. Avast4 seems to work well, but my computer will randomly freeze. It has locked up on screensaver, when the computer was in the sleep mode, and one time when I was on the net using explorer. The problem went away when Avast was uninstalled. I tried this three times. There were no other ant-virus programs loaded (there never was). If anybody has any suggestions I would certainly be interested (and grateful).

Lou

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2004, 03:47:25 AM »
loud, I would be pleased if I can download a program with a simple user interface, configurations and so on that really debbugs errors and freezes. I tried a lot in the past, received suggestions from this forum but, after all, nothing really good or feasable  :'(

I cannot know what produces my freezes...
Oh, I forget, I don't want to pay for it... I already buy enough software to have to pay for their errors and debugging. I want a freeware.

If anybody could help...  8)