Author Topic: BETATESTERS! Try Avast for Mac - release candidate engine  (Read 42756 times)

MacHenry

Re: BETATESTERS! Try Avast for Mac - release candidate engine
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »
I would really appreciate if this works.   I tried the demo version on my Macbook awhile ago, but it said the scanning engine couldn't initialize.

I havn't tried the beta yet, so I'll have to wait and see.

I was checking the other option I saw at the Apple store, it was "ProtectMac".   I checked their FAQ, and apparently they only have 1-year licenses, for $44.99 USD.   Clearly Avast is better in this regard, and I want to purchase the 3-year license for the Mac Avast, but I want to know if I can use any student discounts, while I'm attending ITT.   Are there student discounts for college users?

I try installing the Beta at home, and log back in, with the results.   Perhaps I can get the demo installed now, if the beta doesn't work.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
I would really appreciate if this works.   I tried the demo version on my Macbook awhile ago, but it said the scanning engine couldn't initialize.

I havn't tried the beta yet, so I'll have to wait and see.

I was checking the other option I saw at the Apple store, it was "ProtectMac".   I checked their FAQ, and apparently they only have 1-year licenses, for $44.99 USD.   Clearly Avast is better in this regard, and I want to purchase the 3-year license for the Mac Avast, but I want to know if I can use any student discounts, while I'm attending ITT.   Are there student discounts for college users?

I try installing the Beta at home, and log back in, with the results.   Perhaps I can get the demo installed now, if the beta doesn't work.

Hallo,
make sure that 400.vps exists in your ~/library/application support/com.avast.MacAvast. If not, get fresh one here: http://files.avast.com/files/latest/400.vps
 or it's also available (slightly older version) inside /Aplication/avast!.app.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

MacHenry

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 07:39:59 PM »
I tried installing the pkg file, and then placing the MacAvast.Mad file in the application contents/resources folder, but I still got this screen showing up.

I also went and downloaded the latest 400.vps and placed in the initial resources library, under the application's resources folder.   Is there another location where the proper library is?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:49:35 PM by MacHenry »

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »
I tried installing the pkg file, and then placing the MacAvast.Mad file in the application contents/resources folder, but I still got this screen showing up.

I also went and downloaded the latest 400.vps and placed in the initial resources library, under the application's resources folder.   Is there another location where the proper library is?

Hallo, place the 400.vps to your home, ~/Library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Zoot The Muppet

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 06:17:21 PM »
Hello Zilog... this is interesting - my system doesn't have an avast! folder as outlined in step 3 of your instructions to replace the MAD engine.  All I have is the avast!.app application.   I downloaded avast 2 days ago, played with it for awhile, decided to follow your BetaTesters instructions, so I deleted the app and started all over again, following your instructions and links.  Now I have VPS 091226-0 of 26.12.2009, engine version 0.0.68.

I wouldn't mind being another Mac beta tester.  I found one, possibly two, bugs and have a few suggestions so far.
I'm running this on a 1.6GHz PowerPC G5 (PowerPC 970 (2.2)) single CPU; 2.25GB SDRAM; OS-X 10.5.8; 2 hard drives (80GB and 500GB);  no Bootcamp; no Time Machine.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
Hello Zilog... this is interesting - my system doesn't have an avast! folder as outlined in step 3 of your instructions to replace the MAD engine.  All I have is the avast!.app application.   I downloaded avast 2 days ago, played with it for awhile, decided to follow your BetaTesters instructions, so I deleted the app and started all over again, following your instructions and links.  Now I have VPS 091226-0 of 26.12.2009, engine version 0.0.68.

I wouldn't mind being another Mac beta tester.  I found one, possibly two, bugs and have a few suggestions so far.
I'm running this on a 1.6GHz PowerPC G5 (PowerPC 970 (2.2)) single CPU; 2.25GB SDRAM; OS-X 10.5.8; 2 hard drives (80GB and 500GB);  no Bootcamp; no Time Machine.
Hallo,
of course does, all app are folders, in the fact. Just some metadata inside make it appear as an atomic file, in Finder (but not in terminal). Also, in Finder, you can click on "Show package contents", to go over this Jobstacle.

Regards,
pc

DarkClown

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 01:02:02 AM »
This .82 beta was release in Jan. 2009
Here it is Jan. 2010
Has no futher work been done on the Mac version of Avast in more than a year?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
Here it is Jan. 2010

Nope, a lot of changes were made, but our third party didn't still fix the latest beta from mid-december 2009 (bug at 10.4 systems in the installer, and few other flaws, which prevented it from public release). It contains scheduler, incremental on-the-fly update of both engine/vps, more comprehensible list of findings etc. So, i'm waiting form the fixed package atm, i'll urge it again.

regards,
pc

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
Here it is Jan. 2010

btw. the engine is at the moment 0.0.90-ppc or 0.0.90-x86 (not 0.0.82).
pc