Author Topic: outgoing mail outlook express  (Read 14686 times)

Bogie3

outgoing mail outlook express
« on: June 01, 2003, 04:20:24 PM »
I just installed avast and it looks good. I have searched the forums for this problem and do not see it. I may have overlooked though.

I use Outlook express,W2000 and connect to the internet thru pop3 and smtp. I ran the email setup and can not get the outgoing to work. It will not connect to the smtp server with 127.0.0.1. I use Adelphia. When I change the smtp to mail it goes ok. The setup on the pop3 works just fine and there is no problem receiving just sending. It is more important that I scan incoming than outgoing anyway since that works ok.

Just dont like to be bugged about something not working like it should.

Thanks
Bogie3

Culpeper

Re:outgoing mail outlook express
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 01:13:45 AM »
Is your outgoing mail in OE set up on port 25?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 10:48:34 AM »
What error message does it display ?
Also look in file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\log\aswMaiSv.log if there are any error entries.

Bogie3

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 12:03:28 AM »
Yes my outgoing is set to 25.

There is no error posted. It just says error in connecting to the server 127.0.0.1.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 09:58:10 AM »
Please send me that file.

peterka@asw.cz

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 09:26:33 AM »
The SMTP server returned an error. Account: 'Home mail', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '+OK avast! POP3 proxy ready.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC60

this error was reported in some older version. What build number do you have ? If it is less than 4.0.160 then update should solve this.

I sent you an email but it came back as undeliverable:
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<Helen5213@adelphia.net>

Bogie3

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 05:31:27 PM »
I have version 6.0 in Outlook Express. Sorry about the email return. My internet provider server was having some issues and had to have my modem reprovisioned.Said there was a glitch in there equipment.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 09:39:06 AM »
I have meant version (build number) of avast!.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 09:43:03 AM by vojtech »

EdoMaajka

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 03:03:08 PM »
Same here :-(
This morning I installed avast 4 foer Windows Xp that I downloaded this morning (build 4.0.211).
In inbox of Outlook Express 6 there were a few e-mails infected with Bugbear B.
avast was active, but since I could have make it work on just one account, it didn't recognise the infected mails, that were received through a secundary account.
It allowed forwarding it!
ashMaiSv.exe appears in tray but there is no notice in messages that they were scanned.
Should I log-on as an Administrator?
And the last thing I've noticed, All of a sudden mail servers were changed to 127.0.0.1 and username to "username#old.outgoing.server"

I use Avast4 at home with Outlook  XP @ Windows XP and everything works perfectly. Not a single false negative and just "iframe" false positives. I used to recomend avast 323 and 4 to everyone, now, faced with this "kix" i have second thouts.

Yours truly
Edo

Bogie3

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2003, 04:31:55 PM »
avast now version  0305-6  6/6/03

Bogie3

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2003, 02:13:26 AM »
Sorry the Avast version is the 4.0.211. I even uninstalled Avast and reinstalled making sure I did not have a bad install the first time.

It will just not connect on the outgoing to 127.0.0.1. I can leave the username#mail.isp name and it will still send as long as the outgoing is mail.

ghj290

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2003, 11:44:11 AM »
This morning I installed avast 4 foer Windows Xp that I downloaded this morning (build 4.0.211).
avast was active, but since I could have make it work on just one account, it didn't recognise the infected mails, that were received through a secundary account.

I'm not sure what is happening with your Avast set-up but I have 4 different e-mail accounts in 3 different user profiles (Win XP Home Edition) and, although you can only define 1 SMPT & POP3 server in the e-mail wizard, ALL e-mail accounts are being scanned by Avast.  I know this because I have the scan notification in Avast set to "detailed" and in each account the Avast "scanning e-mail" dialog pops up at the bottom the the screen.  All e-mail accounts are on different servers (i.e. Blueyonder, Lycos, Surfanytime and Fireflyuk.)

I know this is no help to sort your problem but it does let you know that Avast does scan all POP3/SMTP accounts on one machine.

Trev

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2003, 03:14:40 PM »
ashMaiSv.exe appears in tray but there is no notice in messages that they were scanned.
Should I log-on as an Administrator?
And the last thing I've noticed, All of a sudden mail servers were changed to 127.0.0.1 and username to "username#old.outgoing.server"

I use Avast4 at home with Outlook  XP @ Windows XP and everything works perfectly. Not a single false negative and just "iframe" false positives. I used to recomend avast 323 and 4 to everyone, now, faced with this "kix" i have second thouts.

Yours truly
Edo

Mail scanner scans mail during download. If it is already in OE inbox, it will not be scanned (by mail scanner).
Why could you make it work on just one account ?
Problem with notices in clean messages of some type will be hopefully resolved in next update.
Changes in mail account are necessary in order to scan your mail.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2003, 03:21:34 PM »
Sorry the Avast version is the 4.0.211. I even uninstalled Avast and reinstalled making sure I did not have a bad install the first time.

It will just not connect on the outgoing to 127.0.0.1. I can leave the username#mail.isp name and it will still send as long as the outgoing is mail.

Please wait for next update.

Bogie3

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2003, 01:21:40 AM »
I have tried all types of different combinations for my SMTP server and nothing worked. My POP3 works just fine at checking incoming and the properties of the messages shows that Avast says they were clean.

As I said when I ask this question it is more important to me to scan incoming than outgoing and it does that.

Thanks to all for the help. I'll wait for the next update.

Bogie