Author Topic: Turning off Real Time scanning  (Read 11965 times)

Knot2Brite

Turning off Real Time scanning
« on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »
Hello,

I have added a second antivirus program to use once a week as an on-demand scanner. It does not run in real time EVER so it will not conflict with avast.

Their tech support people told me that for speed I should turn off the avast real-time scanner while running their product on demand.

My question is how do I do this? Is it the "pause provider" or is it "stop on access protection?" Or is it possibly something entirely different?

Thank you

sded

Re: Turning off Real Time scanning
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
You are still vulnerable to viruses from the internet, and even cached viruses, so I wouldn't stop it just because running an on-demand scanner.  Stopping and starting on access protection will do the function, but you need be sure you are not accessing anything at the time-like checking email, opening files, surfing the net, ... and that can be rather difficult.  I run things like MBAM and SAS weekly, but would never turn off Avast! while doing it.

Knot2Brite

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »
I neglected to mention that they said to also disconnect from the Internet.

sded

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
If the on demand scanner is the only application you are running, you can be reasonably safe stopping and starting on access protection.  But on-demand scanners usually take significant amounts of time to do a thorough check, so you are essentially down for a while.  Your choice vs simply running slightly longer with full operational capability.  Haven't seen other anti-malware products recommending this, BTW.

Knot2Brite

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »
this is what I got

Dear Knot2Brite,

A new post has been created in the forum: "AntiVir Personal for Windows" at Avira Support Forum.
kevin009 replied to the thread named: "Load Avira on demand rather than at Windows start".

Click this link to view the thread:
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=726238#post726238

kevin009 wrote:
---------------------------------
Hello,

If you want to use Avira as On-demand only - do the following.

Go to Add/Remove programs > Avira Antivir Personal > Change > to open the Avira Setup Wizard. Uncheck the Guard Module and click all the way to the finish.

*Tip: *Be sure to disconnect from the internet and disable the realtime protection of the other scanner before doing a long on-demand scan, otherwise it will scan the files before allowing AntiVir to scan them, thus slowing down the speed of the AntiVir scanner and putti...
---------------------------------

Sincerely,
Your Avira Support Forum Team

sded

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »
Try it and see how much the speed improves.  And decide whether you think the down time is worth it.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »
The only problem as I see it is that avira is now designed to be a resident scanner and whilst the hacks you posted would stop the resident scanner, I don't believe it would do anything to stop the low level drivers from loading.

These are what hook files so they may be scanned by the resident scanner before being run, so the fact that the resident scanners isn't there doesn't stop this low level hooking and it is the low level drivers that could conflict.

Personally I 'always' pause the standard shield (have done for years) before doing another security scan this is avoid: 1. any possible clash when extracting an archive only to have the second scanner hook one of the extracted files and more so if it detects malware in one of the extracted files.
2. duplication of scanning, which could increase the overall scan duration.

You obviously have to trust the other security scanner to pause the standard shield and be disconnected from the internet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security