Author Topic: Avast wiped out IP Connection - Need Help  (Read 5604 times)

ladycee

Avast wiped out IP Connection - Need Help
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:47 AM »
Hi, I am calling for my son who has lost his connection since he ran his first scan which did find Viruses, but told him to run AVAST in Boot Mode which he did ... but one of the files could not be sent to chest, and he deleted, from then on "internal error" messages and when system back up.....TCP connection was gone! His IP tech reset all his configuration (broadband CableVision) but said that somehow AVAST has firewalled his connection.  We are unable to uninstall AVAST .... he cannot d/l the uninstall utility on that computer....

Can AVAST be uninstalled thru Registry?....can you send me the instructions? or any other solution for him?  Much Thanks for any help,
C

ladycee

Re: Avast wiped out IP Connection - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:30:36 PM »
Update:  We are trying to d/l the uninstall utility on another pc (i was ready to bring it to him - 3hrs distance :( ...but he has another pc from where he can d/l the utility...I will post progress.

Anyone know why Avast would zap IP Connection?...TIA ...C

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:23:22 PM »
avast is not a firewall, can't mess the connections... but, if he deleted necessary files, well, better will be repairing Windows installation.
Sometimes, using the command
sfc /scannow
helps, other times, using the Windows CD/DVD to repair Windows installation.

Does he know the virus name? Or the files names/paths that he deleted?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »
Oh, I've forgot...
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
avast! must be allowed in your firewall.
It isn't avast but the fact that you didn't give the proper permission to your firewall that is messing up you ability to connect.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

ladycee

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 04:20:51 PM »
thanks to you both Tech and Bob

I am waiting to hear from my son now.  Doubt if he knows names of file/s he deleted.....I tried to warn him NOT to delete anything but he was in boot mode and said it would not allow him to select another option and froze until he took action.

The file did have windows32 and an .exe but don't know the rest of name.

I think I remember his mentioning IP in the name ... not sure.

CableVision tech tried resetting IP config thru cmd and Internet/Tools and rebooting etc, all to no avail.  Tech's advice to my son was to contact Avast! and stated that Avast! must be firewalling because he could not communicate with his own config and obviously he did not comprehend that Avast! does not have a firewall.

Seems that during the "removal" process Avast! only gave him the option to continue "removal" process from Boot Mode.

I do not think he has any other firewall than general Windows XP.  Matter of fact, I am not even sure if he is using XP or Professional...or Media...will ask him (think XP Home)

We did try to uninstall Avast! thru Add/Remove Programs but were unsuccessful.  Tried to remove Avast! from the tray, also unsuccessful. Tried again after Disabling Avast! still unsuccessful. If it were my computer I would have uninstalled the folder from Program Files and gone into registry and removed all related entries, but did not dare have my son futz with that.

My next step was going to be Restore to an earlier time, but by then time had taken its toll and he went home.

My poor son was so frustrated that he restored everything from the chest back into his system!....I told him not to but he was very tired at that point.

I believe you may be right about having deleted a vital file and that either Repair or Reinstallation of Windows may be his only option.

Thanks so much for your input.  Waiting to hear from him to help him d/l the uninstall utility and see if he can bring that to his pc :)

C

ladycee

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:26:31 PM »
Hi all,

My son has placed the uninstall utility in the Avast! folder on his desktop, but he is also running VRDB before returning the trojans found on his system to the chest.

and before he tries to actually run the uninstall utility.

This will probably take about an hr right?

In the meantime he has work to do, so he will finish this tomorrow.

He read me off as best he could, the virus'/trojans Avast! found as best I can furnish as he cannot email anything to me yet:

win32:patched-za [trj]
win32:tibsr [trj]
win32:small-hky [trj]

here are the locations

3 almost identical:

C:\system volume information \ restore

a 4th one like that not sure of that one.

and:

C:\windows\system32\drivers

7 instances in total

Can you guys make any sense of this?  TIA

C

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 01:31:15 AM »
C:\system volume information \ restore
System restore folder. You can disable it, then enable again, and the infected restore points will be cleaned.

C:\windows\system32\drivers
Here could be the problem... a network driver... but who knows.
Overinstallation can solve the problem and you won't lose your programs, settings, data, files, etc.
Just choose 'Repair' installation of Windows and install 'over' the old installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

ladycee

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:21:51 AM »
o thanks so very much Tech,

Yes, I remember that disabling and then re-enabling Restore puts it back where it belongs......THANKS

and I very much think you hit the nail on the head....Repair of Windows may be his best option......Muchas Gracias.

We will try some time tomorrow...

C

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »
ladycee, you're welcome.

Let us know what happened...

ladycee

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
Hi Tech and Bob,

Again, I am very very grateful for your quick and prompt assistance.  Remarkable.  Norton was never ever helpful to my queries, which is why I left them pronto.  (btw, I subscribe to Cloudeight Information Avenue, which praised Avast! so that is why I use it now, and I agree with them that your product is outstanding)

I had such a difficult time trying to install a Norton Ghost I purchased that I gave up.  Course the difficulty was because the HP system I have has a weird Recovery Console (Norton Ghost required access to this) for which I was NEVER able to figure out how to activate ... and get this....this Recovery Console is a one-time deal.   Use it once ....that's it....inoperable afterwards....so if you mess it up on that one-time set up option.......You LOSE it!...haha

I gave up after that.   Even tho I had a guarantee not only from them, but purchasd an extra 3yr guarantee from the seller of the PC (Staples)....eck..

But I am diverging here ... sorry

My son did manage to uninstall Avast! using the utility with no problems.  This did not result in clearing the block to Internet.

We tried to see if AOL had a firewall.  nope.  We determined Windows firewall disabled.....therefore, we realized either a Repair or Reinstall was the best option just as you said.

and yes the Network Adapter Driver had to be reinstalled, but even that did not corrrect the situation, hence the Re-install.

Important files were placed on a memory stick :)

My son tried to use Repair option from the CD.  this CD had an older vs then installed on the PC....Yikes

He finally called Microsoft.  After finally realizing he was using the WRONG Windows CD ....finally, MS did not want to use the Repair option (takes lots of time :) so they did a complete reinstall, and now he is finally up and running and connected to the Internet.

All the techs he spoke to recommended not to use Avast!....seems they do not know much about you guys.  Cablevision is trying to push their own protection, and MS does not seem to promote you.  It's not surprising that only the established Big Guys are promoted.

I will try to convince my son that he will be better off with your product.  Since he uses it for his business, I think he should buy the Professional vs.

I believe the main problem was .... that the Avast! was not given enuff time to prepare itself before the first scan.  Haste does make waste eh?

Again, I praise the assistance you have given us, and wish you a very very Happy New Year.

Fondly,

Chris

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »
Hi Tech and Bob,

Again, I am very very grateful for your quick and prompt assistance.  Remarkable.  Norton was never ever helpful to my queries, which is why I left them pronto.  (btw, I subscribe to Cloudeight Information Avenue, which praised Avast! so that is why I use it now, and I agree with them that your product is outstanding)
Hey, their product, we're users like you ;)

I had such a difficult time trying to install a Norton Ghost I purchased that I gave up.  Course the difficulty was because the HP system I have has a weird Recovery Console (Norton Ghost required access to this) for which I was NEVER able to figure out how to activate ... and get this....this Recovery Console is a one-time deal.   Use it once ....that's it....inoperable afterwards....so if you mess it up on that one-time set up option.......You LOSE it!...haha
HP Recovery Partition is like you're saying... it works once and then let you in the road... It's not reliable, I've used an HP notebook for two years, couldn't trust, because it does not work when it should.
Can't Norton Ghost exclude this partition of its backups? ???

All the techs he spoke to recommended not to use Avast!....seems they do not know much about you guys.  Cablevision is trying to push their own protection, and MS does not seem to promote you.  It's not surprising that only the established Big Guys are promoted.
Instead of saying such stupid things, these technicians could say to Microsoft to improve its operational system and stop just making advertisement of their partners...

Since he uses it for his business, I think he should buy the Professional vs.
Yes.