Author Topic: XP proxy settings  (Read 6422 times)

avast4lt

XP proxy settings
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:06:21 PM »
Hi
I have used Avast Home for a number of years in both Windows 98 and XP and have always had my IE explorer setting set to use proxy and localhost port 12080. All seemed to be working, my blue "a" was revolving etc. I recently recommended Avast to a friend and when I was setting it up I browsed through some of the help and if I am correct it says only Windows 98 and Windows ME need set to use proxy and port 12080.
Does Windows XP not need the setting made? It does not put in the setting automatically. So default would not use proxy in XP.

I have changed the settings to not use the proxy in XP and it still seems to work whether set or not???

So now I am confused, can any one help please.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: XP proxy settings
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:53:31 PM »
No, XP, Vista and Windows 7 does not require proxy, the scanning is automatic, transparent.
Only Windows 9x and Me require that.
The best things in life are free.

avast4lt

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »
Thanks, for the help, I will change settings accordingly

It still appeared to be working in XP when proxy was set, I understand that it is not required but does it give any added protection of being filtered through a proxy if it is set. ??

Are viruses still blocked by "on access" scanning in XP before getting to my computer  if proxy is not set ??
or is it depending on another method of scanning in XP. ??

Cheers

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »
There is no difference in the way avast scans the information between the Win9x/Me systems and XP. 

The only difference is that in the Win9x/ME systems the set up of the proxy is essential for avast to even get to scan at all.  In the more modern operating systems avast sets the intercepts for the necessary ports automatically and setting the proxy yourself is a waste of effort and provides no more security at all.  avast is still acting as a proxy in XP ...it just does it without you having to set it. 

avast4lt

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »
Cheers, I am happy now, Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
does it give any added protection of being filtered through a proxy if it is set. ??
No, the scanning and the protection are the same.

Are viruses still blocked by "on access" scanning in XP before getting to my computer  if proxy is not set ??
Yes, viruses coming through http (Internet) will be intercepted and blocked.
The best things in life are free.